Senior Site Reliability Engineer
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
More about the role:
Grubhub engineers own and run their products and services from conception to continuous operation. Site Reliability Engineers play a key role and are embedded within development teams to focus on the operational aspects of our services.
On this team, you will help solve complex order taking at a giant scale in a highly competitive landscape. This team supports the web and backend technologies for how customers find and order their food.
The Diner SRE Team at Grubhub helps our hungry diners find, order, and purchase the perfect meal half a million times a day. Our services handle tens of millions of requests per day and the SRE team works on the infrastructure that supports every aspect of the GrubHub diner’s experience. If you're an engineer interested in making a significant impact on our product, this is the team for you.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Create, maintain, own and operate your team’s services that support fundamental capabilities within Grubhub’s products.
- Tackle some of the most challenging problems you can face developing high availability services in a distributed cloud environment that needs to scale exponentially.
Tools we work with:
- Java for microservices
- Docker (in production!)
- Combination of AWS and our own hardware
- Python and Fabric for automation and our CD pipeline
- Jenkins and Spinnaker for builds and task execution
- Linux (CentOS and Ubuntu)
- DataDog for metrics and alerting
- Splunk for log aggregation
- Puppet for Packer image management
You Should Have
- 4+ years experience building complex distributed systems. In this role you are the one gravitating toward operational concerns of the team, focusing on reliability, performance, capacity planning and automation of everything.
- Proficiency in high-level script languages. Python preferred
- Experience developing solutions leveraging Docker
- Experience working in and managing public cloud environments (AWS, Google, Azure, etc)
- Experience managing Linux (Centos, Ubuntu) systems
- Experience building and supporting web-facing technologies
- Configuration management experience with Puppet or Ansible and Chef would be seen as a plus
- Building/implementing monitoring for network, server and application status
- Experience with monitoring tools such as graphite, Nagios, Datadog, Runscope
- Experience with NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Couchbase, Mongo)
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.