Senior Engineer: API & CLI Tools
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating APIs and CLIs that our community of developers will love.
Our community loves us for our elegant tools and interfaces. We want to help them scale their business to the next level. We are looking for an engineer to join our growing API/CLI team. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Client Engineering (in Developer Experience), this engineer will work closely with our community and our internal teams to bring our excellent user experience to our APIs and CLIs.
This role is wildly collaborative. Our API/CLI team is central to our mission. We have a extensive supporting cast to ensure we’re providing a great developer experience.
This role can be 100% Remote or in our NY or Cambridge offices.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Helping build the public APIs and CLIs that teams of developers use to interact with DigitalOcean features.
- Collaborating across the Engineering team to provide a consistent, coherent public API.
- Listening and responding to feedback from the community.
- Working openly/publicly (via github) with open source software.
- Be supported by our infrastructure team for shared infrastructure needs (API Gateway, Auth, Deployment, Observability).
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Empathy for our developer users and the customers/stakeholders you support..
- Passion for delivering simple and elegant solutions that developers will love.
- Opinions about API and CLI design: Who are the inspirational/aspirational companies doing it well or not so well in your estimation?
- Experience with REST (and optionally Terraform).
- Understanding of API versioning strategies, access control, and other best practices.
- Excitement about working with Go, gRPC or similar technologies.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!