Senior Director of Direct Materials, Procurement
Greater NYC Area
Freshly is a fast-growing, food-tech startup and the largest fresh-prepared-meal delivery service in the country. It’s our mission to make eating healthy easy (for all kinds of people with all kinds of different needs) by delivering fresh, nutritious, fully cooked meals directly to customers. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. This is your chance at being part of history and future success.
We are looking to hire a Senior Director of Direct Materials Procurement. The procurement function supports Freshly’s growth plans by leveraging supplier markets and delivering added value in collaboration with internal clients. This role will help to drive innovation, additional supplier capacity, menu development, risk management and cost savings opportunities by working with our ingredient and packaging supplier partners.
- Lead, develop and align food ingredient and packaging strategies to support current and future business requirements
- Coach and develop strategic ingredient and packaging procurement team
- Drive team to develop deep market intelligence for strategic ingredient and packaging categories by monitoring the category supply base, industry dynamics, and underlying price indices
- Develop aligned category strategies by understanding current and future business needs, with support from key stakeholders.
- Deliver multiple strategic category plans annually.
- Lead the negotiations for Master Supply Agreements with selected strategic suppliers
- Drive teams to create formula-based pricing agreements for food ingredients and packaging
- Manage and lead supply and commodity risk strategy and mitigation plans for ingredient and packaging categories, including accountability for coverage strategy
- Lead food ingredient and packaging budgeting process in annual operating plan (AOP)
- Manage purchase price variance (PPV) for direct materials procurement team
- Support the launch of new meal introductions and updated recipes by sourcing new ingredients and packaging, with close alignment with Quality/ Food Safety, Culinary, and Operations teams
- Stay abreast on market trends, cost optimization, innovation and latest technologies to identify new ingredient and packaging opportunities by analyzing industry research and attending trade shows
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with key internal customers and drive productive and positive Operations, Product Development, Finance, Legal, and Quality relationships.
- Develop and maintain senior level relationships at strategic ingredient and packaging suppliers
- Drive quarterly business reviews to review aligned KPIs with select, strategic ingredient suppliers
- 10 - 15 years of relevant professional experience
- 3+ years of food ingredient purchasing in the food and beverage industry
- 2+ years of packaging procurement experience in CPG or pharma industry
- Experience with fresh food and animal protein, desirable
- Budgetary responsibility of $200+ MM
- Multi-year people management experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Supply Chain, or related field preferred
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Strong skills in time management, prioritizing tasks, and being efficient.
- Travel requirements: 20% of work time.
Nice to Have(s)
- Be able to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. Be self-directed/self-motivated.
- Have a strong sense of job ownership coupled with a solid team orientation.
- Be adept at complex problem solving. Demonstrate innovation, and creative thinking.
- Be highly resourceful. Be relationship-based. Be organized and take an “attention to detail” approach.
- Must maintain a high standard of personal and corporate integrity and work ethics.
Business Integration & Partnership:
- Maintain connections with the business to assure awareness of developing and projected key projects & business needs that will affect the supply base needs (technology, capacity, capabilities, etc).
- Conduct spend analysis and sourcing plans to continuously add business value and enable achievement of financial goals.
- Strategies will be in collaboration and alignment with key internal customers (commercial and operations).
- Develop strong partnerships with key internal customers and drive productive and positive Operations, Product Development, Finance, Legal, and Quality relationships.
- Support and achieve targeted product launch and/or revision dates.
Freshly is a weekly subscription service delivering healthy and fully prepared meals directly to a customer’s doorstep. The rotating weekly menu offers 30 different flavorful preparations and combinations that are chef-made with the highest quality, 100% all natural ingredients that meet industry leading standards. Each deliciously healthy meal is packed with key nutrients and cooked fresh to order with no artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, refined sugars, artificial preservatives or hydrogenated oils.
In addition to providing free shipping, Freshly uses advanced eco-friendly packaging technology to ensure that meals maintain freshness in transit. Freshly makes embracing a healthier lifestyle deliciously simple, one box at a time. For more information, visit www.freshly.com.
Here’s some chatter about us:
WSJ - Nestle Buys Stake in Freshly, Putting Healthy Food On The Menu
Fortune - Nestle Leads $77M Funding Round In Meal-Delivery Startup Freshly
Techcrunch - Nestlé leads $77M Round For Healthy Meal Startup Freshly
- WSJ - Freshly Hires It's New CMO From Spotify - Mayur Gupta
We pride ourselves on our fast-paced and fun environment and above all value transparency, communication, and collaboration. We are always learning, growing, and taking risks – if this sounds like an environment where you would thrive, we’d love to hear from you!
Read Full Job Description