Quality Assurance Engineer
NS1’s mission is to unlock the potential of DNS to deliver the tech that powers our customers and the world. We are the market leader in DNS and traffic management software and services, and our customers include the biggest properties and largest enterprises on the internet, such as Salesforce, LinkedIn, Squarespace, Pandora, Imgur, Yelp, Dropbox, and many more. Our modern DNS technologies enable optimized application delivery, couple via our APIs into the tooling and processes of today’s DevOps organizations, and deliver reliability and performance at global scale. We operate a worldwide, highly tuned Managed DNS network, and also deliver our technologies to customers as single-tenant software deployments. We solve incredibly challenging problems on behalf of our customers, in the most mission critical parts of their stack.
We’re looking to add a new member to our Release Engineering team: a Quality Assurance Engineer to design, write and execute automated and manual tests in multiple disciplines, summoning their deep technical background to ensure the quality of the tools and systems that run our cutting edge traffic management platform.
We’re looking for an autodidact who can immerse themselves in our product and testing code, leverage existing technical strengths and teach themselves the systems that are new to them. You should have broad knowledge of the technologies in modern continuous delivery, software test methodologies and test automation, and be able to offer constructive advice for improvements while using and scaling the systems in our existing platform. You’ll focus on testing our products. You’ll take responsibility for the quality of your code, and your daily work will have an immediate company-wide impact.
- Responsible for ensuring the quality of our software through testing (integration, compatibility, functional, load, performance, regression, soak, security)
- Participate in the design of new features to ensure testability and quality
- Determine testing approach and create test plans. Author test scenarios, test cases and detailed scripts. Document test results
- Provide testing support to projects and product releases both with automated tests, and manual testing as required
- Execute pre-determined automated tests and interpret results
- Collaborate with team to improve and automate test and release processes
- Understand network load testing and traffic simulation and generation
- Advocate for quality in development and production releases. Collaborate on the release process.
- Knowledge of QA disciplines, such as unit testing, smoke testing and integration testing
- Practical knowledge of QA methodologies and automated test frameworks, such as TDD/BDD and CI/CD
- Familiarity with Linux
- Debugging various languages and tools
- Foundational understanding of networking, internet infrastructure and cloud computing
Nice to have:
- General familiarity with DNS
- Strong Linux systems programming, maintenance, and platform security skills
- Excellent UNIX and networking knowledge
- Experience managing additional QA engineers or multiple teams of engineers
Our technology stack at NS1, and the many systems you’ll have an opportunity to work with here:
- Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including:
- Custom built DNS software that’s deployed on physical hardware and an anycasted network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally
- REST API, and Portal
- Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing
- Monitoring, metrics collection and alerting
- Traffic load balancing, filtering, and DDoS mitigation tools
- Messaging, persistent DB and caching systems
- Other technologies and integrations include:
- Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms
- BGP, BPF/IPTables, SDN, packet analysis
- MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, SQL
- Python (Twisted), Bash, C, C++14, React, Redux, D3
- Hadoop/HDFS/OpenTSDB, Elastic, Grafana
- Integrations with third party SaaS, APIs, and libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients and integrations
Working @ NS1
We’re a fast-growing, well-funded startup based in the heart of New York City’s Financial District with offices and team members around the world. Working at NS1, you’ll come to understand our team is unique, both in and out of the workplace. We have PhDs, musicians, artists, and athletes working side by side, dedicated to delivering first class products. We’re hardworking, but we're also a compassionate group. We understand that outside of NS1 is a world that places demands on our time. Our leadership team is dedicated to open and honest communication and we continuously strive to foster a culture of transparency, flexibility, and creativity.
- competitive compensation (salary and stock options)
- medical, dental, and vision
- commuter benefits
- flexible hours and time off
- choice of workstation
NS1 is an equal opportunity employer.