As a Microservices / Web Services Engineer, you’ll work closely with other members of the Core Infrastructure team to lay the groundwork for a microservices infrastructure at Vimeo. You'll help to decide core architecture, components, you’ll help carve off pieces of the Vimeo application into smaller services. We serve approximately 56 PB of video a month, 912 hours uploaded per day. You’ll help to ensure the Vimeo plumbing allows our developers to move quickly while maintaining stability, availability, and usability of the current system.
What you'll do:
- In your first 30 days, you'll dive into our LAMP monolith. You'll help to plan our microservice implementation and design, and work with the rest of the team to ensure the plan is workable.
- In your first 90 days, you'll be building frameworks to make our transition to services easier. You may embed with our API, data, or product teams to help them build new services and to answer questions about the framework you’re building.
- By the end of your first year, there will be multiple services (written in Go) up and running that you were responsible for building. You’ll have worked with teams across Vimeo’s tech and product teams to ensure they are transitioning their services smoothly
- Day-to-day, you'll be using your deep knowledge of microservice architecture, Golang, service oriented architecture to plan & build core components and architecture. You’ll build the infrastructure that is used throughout Vimeo to help up us shed legacy baggage and ensure our app is performant as we iterate and evolve.
What we're expecting:
- Experience working high-throughput, high-availability, and cloud-deployed distributed applications
- Microservice implementation and design experience
- Production-level Golang and PHP programming
- SOA and service deployment
- Deep understanding of REST and how the Internet works: TCP/IP, HTTP, TLS, DNS
- Strong Linux/UNIX fundamentals
- Experience with Linux containerization technologies
- Experience with cluster managers like Mesos, Kubernetes, or Nomad
- Experience with distributed metrics systems like grafana or statsd
Vimeo empowers video creators to tell exceptional stories and connect with their audiences and communities. Home to more than 60 million members in over 150 countries, Vimeo is the world’s largest ad-free open video platform and provides powerful tools to host, share and sell videos in the highest quality possible. Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC). Learn more at www.vimeo.com.