Manager, Data Science & Engineering
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating experiences that our customers will love.
DigitalOcean’s Data & Analytics team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced technical engineering manager to support our engineers and engineering culture, most specifically leading the Data Science & Engineering team. The team is responsible for the ingestion and processing of large, disparate datasets and application of advanced statistical and machine learning methods to produce models and prescriptive data that result in better decisions by people or systems, while maintaining and expanding the team’s integrated data platform and its mechanisms for delivering data to the organization. This person will be responsible for aiding career development, motivating and monitoring engineers, working with technical leads to evaluate an engineer’s performance, providing coaching, and counseling as needed.
We are looking for someone with a great understanding of teams and process who will be accountable for the Data Science & Engineering team’s performance and quality. You will also manage the recruitment, selection, and retention of the team as we continue to grow and scale. This role is based in our NYC office.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Recruiting, managing, and maintaining a world-class data science and engineering team
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects related to data science and data engineering
- Managing project schedules using various life cycle approaches and related methodologies using a variety of tools
- Building and developing tools and processes to continuously improve engineering velocity
- Supporting the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire team.
- Boosting communication and facilitating ongoing continuous feedback loops between engineers and the technical leads, as well as external stakeholders
- Managing, communicating and negotiating prioritization and changes in project schedules with key stakeholders, including the Decision Science & Analytics team as well as external stakeholders
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Monitoring and reviewing each engineer's progress related to development goals and KPIs
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning and executing relevant training for the team
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Direct experience with managing, coaching, and mentoring data scientists and/or data engineers
- Passion for developer productivity and experience automating engineering pain points
- Proven expertise in managing complex data science/engineering projects throughout the entire development life cycle, delivering highly available distributed systems on schedule
- Strong customer focus
- Experience introducing and growing a life cycle approach with short cycles
- Good cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between data science, data engineering, business intelligence, and other business units (product engineering, marketing, operations)
- Solid knowledge of end-to-end quality best practices
- Experience with staffing, interviewing and team building
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Data & Analytics
Want to learn more about our Data & Analtyics team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!