Junior Software Engineer
The Farmer’s Dog is the leading tech-enabled pet health brand on a mission to disrupt the $90b global pet food industry. The company is VC backed by the early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
In an industry with little regulation, constant recalls, and rampant misleading advertising, The Farmer’s Dog brings a fresh perspective that all dog lovers have been waiting for. Utilizing its proprietary technology, The Farmer’s Dog’s first service reimagines pet food by making healthy, fresh food incredibly easy to feed. Vet-developed subscriptions are personalized to each customer, while fresh, human-grade food is pre-portioned for each dog and home-delivered within days of cooking. The service has delivered millions of meals and is quickly revolutionizing the broken pet food industry.
The company was launched after Brett’s battle to cure his dog’s stomach issues illustrated how processed and un-healthy even “organic” and “natural” pet food truly was. After testing every pet food on the market without success, Brett resorted to a fresh, home-cooked diet at his vet’s recommendation. The results were staggering — Jada was cured. Once he realized how powerful and healthy fresh food can be, he teamed up with Jonathan to develop a fresh alternative to pet food and created the product they wished existed for their own dogs (and dogs everywhere).
Join The Farmer’s Dog team on its mission to bring peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and fundamentally change the way people think about caring for their pets.
Only “dream job” applicants, please. #mustlovedogs
We’re building a subscription based e-commerce business from the ground up and have plenty of interesting problems to solve. Our aim is to offer a seamless subscription experience through on-time production, customized products and best in class customer support.
How are we different from a regular e-commerce? Each and every one of our customers has a completely unique subscription plan and shipping frequency. Every individual pack of food is produced for a specific dog and has the pet name and date of manufacturing printed straight on the pack. The average time from production to delivery is less than 2 weeks.
Some of the things you could be working on:
- Predictive analysis; making sure we produce the right amount while factoring in account churn, growth rate and current customers
- Minimizing customer support tickets by improving subscription management portal
- Adding a mixing plan option to checkout flow through which a customer could set a price and receive a plan that facilitates supplementing their current food with ours
- Creating a Dockerized microservice that fetches charges from Stripe, generates a monthly tax report, and mails it
- Simplifying the process of modifying an order once it has been billed and supporting partial refunds and billings
- Writing unit tests using Mocha and Nightwatch
Our architecture is based around a NodeJS API that’s hosted on AWS. We have two web applications that interface with it: 1) the consumer facing website that has content pages, checkout flow, and end-user subscription management and 2) the back-office tool that the fulfillment and customer support team uses for reporting, customer management, and advanced subscription options.
Both front-end application use the same boilerplate and are written in Redux and React. Additionally, we have a number of microservices to handle webhooks and long running jobs like generating customized booklets and handling shipment tracking events.
- You should have at least 1 year of experience and a demonstrated ability to build & ship production services. You should feel confident working with NodeJS or Redux.
- We take pride in writing software the right way. That means peer reviews, ample time to refactor code, and write tests.
- Play nicely with others (humans and dogs)
Health, dental, avocado toast, puppies.