This role will be instrumental in growing, mentoring, and guiding a team of cross functional software engineers to develop a healthy and collaborative culture. This role will set direction for the team, anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges via thoughtful long-term planning and will help craft technical and product strategy. This role will also participate in hands on development.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead a team of 5-7 engineers with a focus on technical leadership while coaching, mentoring and growing team members
- Build and deploy a set of globally distributed products
- Maintain a high-quality code base, through coding and performing code reviews
- Define application infrastructure technical roadmap and drive for its execution.
- Establish engineering data points to measure the effectiveness of the team’s output
- Implement best practices in architectural design and mentor team in these practices
- Participate in system design and influence technical strategy conversations across the engineering team
- Conduct performance reviews and 1-1’s with all team members setting objectives for the team as a whole and partnering with teammates on individual goals
- Help career development of team and assign team members to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Work with engineering team leads and other stakeholders to continuously improve operational processes and procedures
- Use project management and Agile skills to estimate project scope and break larger projects and stories into smaller pieces
- Instill a culture of engineering quality, testing, re-use and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and relevant tools
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization.
- Identify cross-functional dependencies and remove blockers when needed across engineering, design, and product management
- Create a team dynamic that is inclusive, open-minded, respectful, and effective
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- Maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long-term goals.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Experienced in managing a technical team
- Experience with at least one annual performance review cycle
- Kind and intellectually mature
- Willing and able to dive into the code yourself
- Excited to partner with design and product management on both large new features and daily, small product enhancements
- Equipped with the intelligence, empathy, integrity, and technical chops required to quickly earn the trust of a technically astute team
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done—and then doing it
- Have a technical background and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions.
- Enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and you’re committed to driving projects to completion creatively.
- Ability to motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership in your team. You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work.
- Experience in building and retaining an engineering team and culture
- A deep understanding of modern web applications and API design; experience with issues related to scale, security, availability, deployment, and server maintenance
- Experience with development best practices, including continuous integration, automated testing, source control, and code reviews
- An understanding of AWS or other cloud infrastructures
- Have experience with distributed systems, CI/CD tools, and containerizing applications