Transfix, named one of Forbes' "Next Billion-Dollar Startups" in 2018, is the leading freight marketplace that's transforming the $700 billion trucking industry, connecting shippers to a national network of reliable carriers. Fortune 500 companies such as Anheuser-Busch, Unilever, and Target rely on Transfix to handle their most important FTL freight needs. With instant pricing tools, guaranteed capacity, data-driven insights, and reliable service, Transfix is changing the world of transportation one load at a time. Join us, and leave a positive impact on the environment as we help reduce the carbon footprint caused by the 65 billion wasted miles on the road.
Based in New York City, Transfix is backed by top VC firms including New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Canvas Ventures, and Lerer Hippeau. The company has raised more than $78.5 million in funding.
The problems we solve everyday are real and require creativity, grit, and determination. We are building a culture that challenges norms while fostering experimentation and personal growth. We're hiring team members who are passionate and are energized by the vision to simplify and transform one of the largest and most complex industries through technology, data and a strong commitment to customers.
Engineering Managers at Transfix collaborate within cross-functional squads comprised of engineers, product managers, designers, and data scientists. Drawing on their deep technical experience, they define standards and practices for their teams, set the bar for quality in products we release, and ensure resilience in our operations.
Most of our managers fit the “player-coach” archetype, leading 4-8 direct reports and spending 10-50% of their time in technical contributions—leading design reviews, reviewing PRs, fixing bugs, and anything else that helps unblock and focus their teams.
Your team will contribute in building the freight management software platform that allows us to serve a variety of players in the freight transportation sector—manufacturers, national retail chains, trucking companies, dispatchers, and more. If you’re excited about transforming an industry, being part of an innovative culture, and making a positive impact on the environment, send us your resume.
(If you are pursuing a Director-level role, let’s talk! Please submit your resume through this application and include a note or cover letter stating your interest.)
What you'll do:
- Plan and scope the work of your team, leveraging a culture of Continuous Deployment and Automated Testing to enable rapid delivery of new products, APIs, and services.
- Drive results and performance of the team, setting the standard for quality and providing targeted, thoughtful feedback.
- Recruit, train, mentor, and develop individual team members.
- Manage technical operations for your team’s products, ensuring that issues are detected and resolved quickly.
- Foster a culture of continuous learning through retrospectives and incident post-mortems.
- Our tech stack is comprised of Ruby on Rails, Python, React/Redux, PostgreSQL, Redis, Dynamo, RedShift. We are hosted on AWS and leverage a variety of their services. Code is tested using CircleCI and a variety of unit- and end-to-end testing frameworks including RSpec, unittest, Jest, and Cypress. We monitor our production software with tools like New Relic, Sentry, Airbrake, and CloudWatch.
- You have 5+ years professional experience writing, delivering, supporting, and debugging production software.
- You have spent 1+ years in a tech lead or engineering manager role.
- You have worked with a variety of modern web technologies (front-end and/or back-end).
- You advocate for best practices and high quality code in your teams, and are thoughtful about prioritizing improvements that will make meaningful impact in your team.
- You take pride in delivering high-quality products and build confidence in the software you deploy using a combination of peer review, automated testing, manual testing, and monitoring tools.
- You have a bias for shipping, learning, and iterating.
- You can constructively disagree with others while maintaining trust and respect.
Location: This role is based in our NYC headquarters. Relocation assistance is available.
To all recruitment agencies: Transfix does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be held responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.