Engineer: Platform Services
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building the infrastructure and platforms that will improve the resiliency, scaling, and development speed for cloud services.
We are looking for an experienced platform software engineer with an operations background for building operationally sustainable solutions for data and network platforms. Our team’s mission statement is to “provide tools and expertise to solve common operational problems, accelerating and simplifying product development.” As part of the team, you’ll be working with a variety of data-related technologies, including Kafka, and Redis, in an effort to transform these technologies into platform services in order to further our mission.
This is an opportunity to build the services and systems that will accelerate the development of DigitalOcean’s cloud features. Services will provide highly-available, operationally elegant solutions that serve as a foundation for a growing product base and serving a global audience. This is a high impact role and you’ll be working with a large variety of product engineering teams across the company.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Working closely with product engineering and infrastructure teams to drive adoption of services throughout the company
- Instrument and monitor services developed to ensure operational performance
- Create tooling and automation to reduce operational burdens
- Establishing best practices for development, deployment, and operations
- Driving adoption of services throughout the company
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Interaction with developers and teams to resolve production issues
- Distinguished track record developing and automating platform solutions that service the needs of other engineering teams.
- Adept in Python, Bash, or other scripting languages. Experience working within a Go codebase.
- Familiarity with continuous integration tools such as Concourse. Experience with configuration management tooling and processes such as Chef & Ansible.
- Firm grasp of high-availability concepts and resilience engineering patterns.
- Experience operating the stack of highly-transactional web operations across multiple sites.
- Capability of thinking critically about failure models, disaster recovery, and business continuity.
- Experience with platform technologies for data and compute including services such as Kafka & Redis and also Kubernetes
- You have a passion for not repeating yourself (DRY) by way of automation where it makes sense
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Infrastructure team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!