Director of Engineering, Site Reliability
Greater NYC Area
About Rent the Runway:
Recently named #9 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list for 2018, Rent the Runway is transforming the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by introducing clothing rental as a utility for women. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. Since our launch in late 2009, the company has raised more than $210 million from top-tier investors and built one of the most beloved brands on earth. We are proud to be both a profitable and high-growth business, with a loyal 9 million members who believe that rental is the future.
Our 1200+ employees have a revolutionary spirit that permeates our culture. We’ve built proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion brands - and we are obsessed with continuing to game change our customer experience.
We are also trying to revolutionize entrepreneurship itself - proving that diverse teams produce outsized impact. The Rent the Runway Foundation, which our two co-founders launched together in 2015, helps thousands of female entrepreneurs build and scale their own businesses with the mission of increasing the number of high growth women-led companies.
About this Role:
You will be responsible for leading the direction and ensuring the long term system health for our core technical platforms. You'll manage some of our most accomplished engineers and grow the team as your group makes continuous improvement on key metrics of reliability, scalability, maintainability, performance, and availability. Our SRE team spends time developing and automating solutions that reduce operational tasks, lead to increased deliverable quality, and increase the time we spend engineering our applications.
Our business is growing and there is no shortage of interesting things going on. Behind the scenes at Rent the Runway, we not only have the user-facing website that is the public face of our company, but everything from the platform and reservation systems that power it, to a huge reverse logistics operation that operates from multiple fulfillment centers and retail stores across the country. With over 8 million users, our own physical inventory in hand, thousands of user interactions every day, and much more, our engineering team is the backbone of every single scaling challenge you can think of - and some you might not.
- Mentor, grow, and empower your team by giving them the skills, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success, and enable them to become technical leaders.
- Take an active role in driving and evolving the roadmap for the SRE Org.
- Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team, and across partner teams, and ensure that we're building the right systems and keeping the quality high.
- You can provide a strong technical and architectural vision for platforms, systems and infrastructure
- Take an active role in driving and evolving the roadmap for the Platform Engineering organization, particularly in the areas of evolving our frameworks and platform automation.
- Provide input into software lifecycle, improvement and standardization strategies
- Develop internal SOPs, processes, documentation, and training to ensure that team members have the needed skills and tools to support the production environments and deliver on project commitments
- Drive vendors to achieve company expectations in regards to performance, reliability and other areas as appropriate
- Work to automate management tasks, streamline processes, and improve reliability, uptime, efficiency, consistency, and security throughout the software and infrastructure
- Take part of and continuously iterate on a 24x7 on-call process
You should have:
- Degree/Diploma in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of management experience leading engineering teams.
- 10+ years of professional software development experience.
- Extensive professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users.
- Experience leading a high-performance team of technical resources to achieve consistent and measurable results
- Proven ability to effectively work with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrable track record dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in a fast-paced environment
- We have a MicroService architecture on Java, so having Java experience is a big plus.
- Experience with current DevOps toolchains for infrastructure deployment, software build/test/deploy, and systems/application monitoring/logging such as Jenkins, Ansible, Maven, SALT, Puppet, ELK, Splunk, New Relic, Graphite, etc.
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization
- Experience moving organization to cloud hosting provider - AWS, GCP
- Production experience running containers and scheduler - Docker, Kubernetes, ECS/EKS
- Experience leading teams and building technology and products in a rapidly growing company and knowledge of how to navigate the growing pains of that rapid growth
Read Full Job Description