Director Engineering - Platform/Cloud Services
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 85,000 restaurants and over 15.6 million diners across 1,600 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
We’re looking for a leader who can lead grow our cloud infrastructure engineering teams, continue to build on our best in class frameworks and platform, evangelize, communicate and work with other engineering teams to maintain our standards across the board while balancing performance, reliability, scale, security, usability and cost.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Work with business and technical leaders on prioritization and scheduling
- Manage our roadmap and communication with other engineering teams
- Coach and mentor engineering teams and team leaders
- Guide growth and evolution of the team
- Own team engagement through 1x1s, communication, celebrations, training
You Should Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 10+ years experience in software development or engineering field
- 5+ years of experience managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience managing multiple teams
- Public cloud experience, AWS preferred
- Experience building distributed systems
- Experience operating in a 5x9s environment
- Java experience (we use a number of other languages but this is our main language for frameworks and services)
- Experience in highly scalable environment/SOA is preferred.
- eCommerce experience preferred
- A strong background in technical design / architecture in a distributed environment
- Strong communication (written, verbal) skills
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.