Director of Engineering, Development Infrastructure
Overview The We Company started as a platform for creators in providing members space, community, and services that enable them to do what they love and craft their life’s work. The We Company is striving to help people achieve their purpose and connect with others. WeWork, a business line of We Company, has grown to over 400,000 members in 26 countries and is continuing to grow exponentially. Our dedication to technological innovation has enabled us to grow to more than 400 workspace locations as well as support the other business lines including WeLive (living space), WeGrow (education), Rise by We (wellness) and Powered by We (enterprise). Every day, we see and feel the impact we can have on employees’ and members’ lives. Developer Platform - Development Infrastructure The Development Infrastructure team provides a complete tool set for engineering squads to perform their development:
- Work management system, encouraging agile development practices and enabling cross-team dependency management;
- Full development tool suite: a source control management system, integrated with a continuous integration system; commits trigger the accompanying build and tests to build artifacts which are delivered to production repositories; policy checks enforce desired behaviors;
- Testing, Internationalization Engineering (I18N), code scanning tooling provide libraries and other tools to assist teams with their code development;
- Development reporting: squad velocity, code quality, component ownership querying are all available for teams and management to get visibility over their development practices.
These tools support all types of software development at WeWork: Web applications, mobile applications, service-based software, data processing, embedded software. The tools are backed by automated setup, documentation, and educational resources, giving developers permissions and knowledge to do their job from day 1. Every squad doing software development at WeWork uses these tools, and technology leadership has visibility over all this work at the level of granularity they wish. As the Director of Engineering for the Development Infrastructure team, you will be working closely with Product to drive the vision and strategy for building out this platform.
- Establish the vision and strategy, as well as the goals to measure success
- Build, mentor, and lead a world-class team of engineers, while creating and evolving the ideal organizational design
- Understand the needs of internal users, and drive adoption of the platform around the company
- Collaborate together with external companies and partners in the open-source community
- Foster a culture of engineering excellence
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience, with 5+ years of managing managers (ideally managed team of 50+ previously)
- Experience managing a distributed team and partnering closely with distributed stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial drive and demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment, while building extensible and scalable solutions
- Strong organizational, analytical & problem-solving skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively simplify and communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
The We Company is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in all its forms. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.