Director, Engineering: Cloud Storage
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building high performing teams that operate at scale
We are looking for a technical leader who will drive engineering excellence across all major components of our current and future Storage offerings. You will have strong ownership over new and existing systems, guiding multiple teams through all phases of software development, including product definition, implementation, operations and scaling. You’ll guide your team of managers as they execute, coaching and directing them to new levels of excellence. Your work will have a direct impact on real DO customers.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Working in close partnership with Product Management, Design and other core product directors (Compute and Networking) to deliver storage-related software services.
- Develop quarterly goals and objectives that help keep your teams aligned with the vision and higher-level company goals.
- Make large prioritization decisions, and tradeoffs between schedule, scope, cost
- Attract, develop and retain the people required to deliver your plan.
- Actively coach and develop the managers and technical leaders within your organization, and create a healthy culture that supports delivery over the long term
- Command the economics tied to your organization. This includes ROI considerations, revenue impact, margins, opex and capex budgets.
- Actively participate in the yearly and quarterly budget process and make strategic and tactical decisions to manage to these budgets
- Be an open communicator within DigitalOcean in both written and spoken form. Routinely present at company AMAs.
- As a director you will be expected to drive a company initiative that does not fit nicely in a box, or has impact beyond your immediate organization
What We'll Expect From You:
- Significant experience managing software development teams and shipping software-based products or services, a big plus to Storage-related products.
- Experience with building and leading teams with an emphasis on scaling them to meet the demands of a rapidly growing business
- Direct experience building scalable infrastructure software and/or distributed systems
- Strong analytic and quantitative analysis skills
- Strong communications skills with the ability to prioritize well and understand how to drive a high level of focus and excellence through a strong, talented and motivated team
- Sound business judgment, with a proven ability to influence others and drive consensus
- A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- A good systems thinker, who understands complex organisations, systems and how to work effectively in a complex environment.
- Enough architecture and engineering chops to hold your teams to high standards.
- A good cross functional collaborator.
- An effective communicator in written and spoken forms.
- A leader comfortable with build, buy, partner decisions.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!