Database Platform Engineer
The Database Platform Engineer role will support the database initiatives of Flatiron’s research and provider-facing engineering teams. In one aspect, the position will help improve the data platform for OncoEMR, our oncology-specific electronic medical record (EMR) system used by over 1,300 oncology clinicians to diagnose and treat patients battling cancer. In another aspect, this position will help implement best practice, automation, and reliability standards into the data sets of our research initiatives where modern technologies are at the forefront of application design.
The Database Platform Engineer will be be a critical role in maintaining and optimizing Flatiron’s data platform space, where data integrity, security, and performance all have a direct impact on the lives of cancer patients and their care.
- Manage and improve multiple, large-scale, cloud-hosted Microsoft SQL server environments.
- Provide best practices, automation, and support around modern database platforms such as RDS, PostGres, and Redshift.
- Serve as a technical resource for developer teams, project managers, and analysts.
- Collaborate with development and operations teams to quickly highlight and resolve problems with database systems.
- Participate in design reviews and work with developers to improve or troubleshoot database driven applications.
- Work closely with security engineers to ensure database security is in accordance with compliance policies set by Flatiron, HIPAA, or other authorities.
- Ensure appropriate documentation is developed and maintained relative to our database environments.
- 5+ years of hands-on database administration experience
- 5+ years of experience with performance monitoring, database tuning, and capacity planning
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server on Windows Server environments
- Experience with implementing highly-available database environments and supporting disaster-recovery requirements.
- Experience maintaining cloud-hosted environments such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure.
- Experience managing and scaling PostGres, RDS, Redshift, or another modern database platform.
- Demonstrated ability to provide in-depth consulting services in the identification and resolution of database issues.
- Demonstrated experience in the planning, design, and usage of database resources and providing support to development teams.
- Tried ability to work individually or as part of a team to solve technical problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Nice to have:
- Experience programming in .NET & Python
- Experience with Powershell, Ansible, and other scripting or orchestration frameworks.