Backend Engineer (NodeJS)
The Farmer’s Dog was created to radically improve the $90 billion global pet food industry — starting with a subscription service that sends freshly-made food directly to customers’ doors. Long term, our aim is to simplify every part of pet care, bettering the lives of the animals who make our lives better. We recently raised our Series B and are backed by early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
Join The Farmer’s Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
We’re building a subscription based e-commerce business from the ground up and have plenty of interesting problems to solve. Our aim is to offer a seamless subscription experience through on-time production, customized products and best in class customer support.
How are we different from a regular e-commerce? Each and every one of our customers has a completely unique subscription plan and shipping frequency. Every individual pack of food is produced for a specific dog and has the pet name and date of manufacturing printed straight on the pack. The average time from production to delivery is less than 2 weeks.
Some of the things you could be working on:
- Simplifying the process of modifying an order once it has been billed and supporting partial refunds and billings
- Automating billing and label generation processes
- Adding support for coupons & credit
- Integrating with third-party vendors
- Improving our box packing algorithm
- Architecting solutions to deal with 25x scale
Our architecture is based around a NodeJS API that’s hosted on AWS. We have two web applications that interface with it: 1) the consumer facing website that has content pages, checkout flow, and end-user subscription management and 2) the back-office tool that the fulfillment and customer support team uses for reporting, customer management, and advanced subscription options.
Both front-end application are written in Redux and React. Additionally, we have a number of microservices to handle webhooks and long running jobs like generating customized booklets and handling shipment tracking events.
- You should have at least 3 years of experience and a demonstrated ability to build & ship production services. You should feel confident working with NodeJS.
- We take pride in writing software the right way. That means peer reviews, ample time to refactor code, and write tests.
- Play nicely with others (humans and dogs)
PERKS & BENEFITS
- Brand new dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village (complete with free-roaming friendly dogs)
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- Flexible PTO and WFH policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Fresh breakfast, snacks and coffee for the humans
- Strict daily belly rub quota