Back-end Scala/Java Engineer
Who are we?
Vestwell provides every employee in America with access to a retirement account by removing the friction points financial advisors and companies have in establishing and maintaining defined contribution & benefit programs. We look out for everyone’s best interest, including financial advisors, companies and employees.
Vestwell is at the forefront of a wave of change in a $6 trillion 401(k) market; creating a new platform that lowers fees and ensures that individuals retire wealthier. We’ve raised some money from great investors in the Fintech and Finserv world to achieve this goal and are already getting a great response from customers.
Who are we looking for?
Our tech team is expanding and we’re excited to bring onboard an additional back-end engineer with 1-3 years of experience and a strong knowledge of object-oriented programming style and/or knowledge of functional programming. We are looking for a type of a person who has a strong sense of ownership and purpose, is excited about problem-solving and overall has a positive attitude and outlook.
Vestwell is an agile shop and, in this environment, you will work closely with technology and product management teams to establish, track, and achieve goals for each sprint, successfully. We believe in deadlines here and expect team members to be a model example for everyone else. Your job responsibilities include participating in software development, redesigning and managing the current framework, diagnosing and repairing bugs, and documenting technical requirements.
Who you are:
- A passion for programming and enjoy building your skills
- The ability to learn quickly - you can be thrown into a project and start running with it
- Exceptional coding abilities
- A team-first collaborative approach
- Excellent time management and the ability to prioritize
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to solve problems and make progress on projects while working autonomously or with limited oversight
- The ability to tackle the complexities and problems of a fast-growing startup with a professional attitude
Day-to-day you will also be expected to:
- Collaborate closely with our Senior Technical Architect and the rest of the Vestwell team to build out the back-end services used in all our system-to-system integrations, including support for our front-end interfaces
- Work with both engineering and product teams to drive solution design.
- Create complex logical frameworks, workflows, RESTful API endpoints, and Integrate our system with 3rd party vendors
- Help plan, automate and scale our infrastructure.
- Provide production support at times
- Participate in lunch and learn sessions, including researching and presenting different topics
- Java or Scala, PostgreSQL, building and consuming RESTful APIs, Jenkins, Git, Jira
- Excellent communication skills are a must, able to work alone or in groups, collaborative, self starter, passionate
- CS Degree preferred, but not required
- Financial Services experience, understanding of key concepts, instruments and basic workflows
- Experience with AWS especially SNS and SQS, CSS, data analytics, reporting, Docker, Restify
- Financial Services Certifications: Series 65, series 7, CFA, etc.
We’re an early stage startup with lots of exciting milestones ahead. We value health and wellness at Vestwell and, as such, offer competitive health coverage, an open vacation policy, free drinks & snacks, and a bright, comfortable office with lots of workspace options so you can be comfortable and as productive as possible, close to all transportation between Bryant Park and Herald Square in NYC. And naturally we have a great 401(k) plan!
No third parties please!