Back End Engineer
ABOUT THE JOBSpruce is a real estate tech company changing the face of the real estate transaction. As a part of the Spruce Engineering team, you will help to build a cutting edge platform that will define the future of real estate transactions. In this role, your strong skills and knowledge in modern web platforms, frameworks, and techniques will be put to the test while we lower transaction costs, create new technology based efficiencies and engineer a transparent, fast transaction process that improves access to the largest source of capital most of us will ever have - real estate.
Spruce is looking for an experiencedBack End Software Engineer to join its growing Engineering team in NYC. You will be integral in building the first cloud-based closing, escrow, and title solution for the real estate industry. The ideal candidate will have an interest in real estate and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
What you’ll do:
- Create efficiency. Our software is replacing reams of paper and dozens of manual processes. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, and lean engineering.
- Work closely with the product and design team to get new features out fast
- Learn and share functional programming techniques as we hone our tools and approaches
- Attack hard software problems at all levels of the stack
- Help ensure uptime, performance and user experience are delivered without compromise
- Help develop Spruce's company and engineering cultures
What we’re looking for:
- You have 5+ years of professional experience in back end development, preferably with some startup experience
- You have worked with (micro)-services, SQL databases, streaming data processing, asynchronous jobs
- Experience with big data tools a plus (Kafka, Kinesis, Spark (Streaming), BigQuery, RedShift, etc)
- Serverless experience a plus (AWS Lambda Functions, Google Cloud Functions)
Spruce is the platform that enables fast, frictionless, and transparent real estate transactions across the country. We believe the future of real estate will be driven by automation and empowering homeowners, so our mission is to make real estate transactions amazing for everyone involved in the process.
As a small, ambitious startup there is lots to do, of course, but everyone at Spruce is passionate about supporting each other and making the office a fun and comfortable place to spend time. We’re located in Flatiron in a dog- and family-friendly office. We offer unlimited vacation, flexible hours, comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans, a dazzling variety and amount of La Croix (that’s organized by color in a separate fridge!), breakfast on Monday mornings, lunch on Wednesdays, monthly game nights, happy hour every other week, and lots of free snacks.
We intentionally set out to build a team that is inclusive to all, recognizing that a diversity of experiences in the workplace ensures a broader range of perspectives, a stronger team, and better products. We are proud of the team we’re building, and we continue to be committed to equal opportunity employment. The more inclusive we are, the better we can serve our customers