Director, Security Engineering
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We’re looking for an awesome leader to join the DigitalOcean team as the Director of Security Engineering. In this pivotal role, you will be a key member of DigitalOcean’s security leadership team, reporting to the Chief Security Officer, and tasked with developing and leading a world-class infrastructure and application security function. We are looking for a creative thinker who thrives in a fast-paced environment and has an unmistakable passion for securing one of the world’s largest public clouds.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Steering a forward-looking security engineering function at one of the world’s largest and most recognized infrastructure providers.
- Leading and mentoring a team of skilled security practitioners covering application and infrastructure security.
- Develop and extend security tooling and automation efforts across the security, trust, and broader technology organizations.
- Advocate for secure application and infrastructure best practices, acting as a bidirectional conduit to the Infrastructure and Security teams and ensuring a security presence at all stages of the software development lifecycle.
- Speaking at local and national events about forward-looking and innovative security concepts and initiatives.
- Presenting key data on the security of DigitalOcean’s infrastructure and application security to the executive leadership team; helping drive continual improvements and methodology.
- Own both day-to-day security incident and vulnerability escalation paths into the security function as well as forward facing site security functions; hunting down bad actors before they can adversely impact DigitalOceans customer base.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- A high degree of curiosity and aptitude, with a clear passion around security as a lifestyle.
- A forward looking perspective on security engineering, tackling each problem with a degree of creativity that uses previous internal/external approaches as a data point, not a rulebook.
- An ability to stay optimistic in the face of all levels of proactive and reactive challenges, building security at scale is hard for everyone and you must be happy and energized by doing it.
- Consistently improve security as the platform scales, driving continuous improvement through data collection and correlation, being mindful that security should be an efficiency enabler for the business - not a detractor.
- A strong partnership with Product Management, Engineering, Infrastructure, and Customer Support teams to formulate the strategy and roadmap for delivering a secure platform in support of DigitalOcean on growth expectations
- Elegantly and efficiently manage platform-impacting security incidents and focus on driving resolution, as well as follow-through on postmortems and remediations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. You’re comfortable presenting on-stage at technical conferences and giving updates to executive leadership teams.
- 12+ years of experience as a technical security practitioner, with at least 5 years in technical leadership roles. Bonus points if you have experience in dynamic tech companies that operate at scale.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.