We are seeking a well-rounded UX designer with 2+ years of experience designing for mobile and web applications, across UX and graphic design.
You are the ideal candidate if you are curious, articulate, organized and a strong communicator. You’ll be working closely with product managers, developers, marketers, customer service, and our design lead, to deliver delightful, elegant experiences that take the complicated needs of 3D printing and make it accessible to all.
Why this role is important to us:
Shapeways is popularizing bleeding edge 3D Printing technology and bringing the power of product creation to everyone via the applications and services we develop. As this is all very new, we see design as the way to make our service and the technology approachable and understandable for people, and a crucial function in achieving our long term vision. We’re looking to grow our design team and will utilize their experience and portfolio of design skills to help their team design impactful, delightful, high-quality web and mobile experiences that bring joy to Shapeways users and create repeat customers.
As a UX designer you will:
- Champion the user experience, leveraging empathy to understand how they will interact with Shapeways.
- Be adept in user experience design, web design and design for marketing, and be intimately familiar with industry standards and best practices in these areas.
- Understand business requirements, and synthesize them into team objectives and success metrics.
- Gather analytics and conduct user research to form customer insights.
- Communicate customer insights across the company and with our partner teams (Engineers, Marketing, Production, ...).
- Create user flows and sketches to explore concepts, draw wireframes and build prototypes to validate designs, think micro-interactions and copy to create persuasive interactions.
- Be a point of contact for and work closely with Product Managers and Engineers to build the next version of our service on the web, mobile, and future platforms.
- Emphasize a design culture that: focuses on modular design; enforces brand guidelines; adheres to a central design philosophy, and continually iterates on our designs system and aesthetics.
You might be a good fit if (you have/are):
- 2+ years of experience designing and delivering successful consumer web/mobile apps or services.
- Fluency in several areas of design, including user experience design, web design and design for marketing
- When you see people struggle, you get immediate desire to help; empathize with pain and look to find solutions.
- Experience conducting user research and usability research.
- Complete Fluency with design software - Sketch, InVision, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Fluency with planning, project management, task management, and tracking progress.
- Proven ability to communicate vision, inspire people, and motivate teams towards a common goal.
- Bachelor's degree or foreign equivalent in visual/art/industrial/product design, art, or communications.
- Front-end development experience.
- Experience with 3D modeling and knowledge of 3D design software.
- Talent or interest in micro-interactions
WHEN APPLYING - PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE A LINK TO YOUR PORTFOLIO (if your portfolio is in PDF form, please attach and use your LinkedIn link in the website section)
Why join our team?
Shapeways is breaking new ground in the field of 3D printing. With our website and marketplace for designers, our goal is to give everyone access to the revolution of additive manufacturing. This isn’t your typical web business – we have a physical product at the back end. If you’d like to work in a dynamic, collaborative, respectful environment where colleagues share ideas and encourage each other to think creatively, Shapeways is just what you’re looking for…
Benefits and perks include:
- Comprehensive Health Package - We offer a great medical plan option that provides coverage to the employee for free
- 401(k) with Safe Harbor matching- Join the team and we will invest in your future
- Parental Leave- Generous Paid time off for new parents
- Ample Paid Time Off- PTO plus sick days. Whether it’s traveling the world, taking a mental health day, or going to the dentist... because Life.
- Great Snacks and Free Lunch- Fully stocked fridge, and fancy coffee. Also, daily catered lunch at our Long Island City and weekly catered lunch in our Manhattan office.
- Regular Happy Hours- Cheers to themed happy hours! Enjoy extra time for getting to know your teammates.
- Credit towards 3D Printing- Every employee receives $100 of Shapeways credit each quarter to make or buy.