UI/UX Designer (Contract)
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s design team is a group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who thrive on creating beautiful products Skimm’rs love. As we grow, we're looking to hire a contract designer to work alongside our NYC product and design teams as we build out new product offerings in early 2019.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
You will be joining theSkimm’s design team, working on products across web, email, and mobile. You will work cross-functionally across design, product, and engineering and bring a user-centric vision to all our product development.
- Overhaul our web experience, creating a place for more exploration and content
- Rethink our email newsletter user experience and new subscriber lifecycle
- Rapidly prototype and iterate on new and existing features or experiences
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Extensive design experience, including direct experience in UX & UI design
- Demonstrated understanding and demonstration of user-centered design principles
- Skills and experience with lo-fi & hi-fi prototyping
- Experience designing cross-platform products (Web, Mobile, Email)
- Enthusiasm and excitement for working collaboratively or individually, and ability to maintain a self-starter attitude in any environment.
- Proficient in Sketch, Invision, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Passion for theSkimm's brand and products
- Reliable and able to turn work around within a quick deadline
- Degree or equivalent in graphic design or product design
- Keen interest in Digital Media and anything related to new media and technology
- Experience with Principal
This is a full-time contract role based in NYC. If you're interested, apply below and please include a link to an online or PDF portfolio.