Senior UX Designer
Merrill combines great people, best practices and advanced technology while empowering the communications of the world’s leading companies and professionals who support them. Whether it’s sales, finance, human resources, information technology and more, consider unleashing your talent at Merrill Corporation.
If you aren’t familiar with the Capital Markets, you may not have heard of us. We are the preeminent service provider for the largest, most high-profile mergers, acquisitions and IPO’s in the world. Our customers trust us and do business with us because we are serious about data security and passionate about empowering them with powerful solutions to achieve their desired deal outcomes in the shortest timeframes with the best results possible. We are working to transform not only our business but our industry at large.
Who You Are
A inspired, talented and driven Product Designer. A Product Designer who knows how to leverage Design Thinking to build user empathy, clearly define user problems, foster breakthrough Ideas, quickly prototype on those Ideas, gather candid, meaningful user feedback on those prototypes and ultimately deliver world-class product experiences. You will work collaboratively with the Creative Director and the Product Design team to help steward the design aesthetic of Merrill Corporation’s digital platform. You will also help in the creation of the Merrill Digital Style Guide. You treat colleagues with dignity and respect. You have the portfolio, passion and chops to demonstrate all the above in a high-impact manner that wows us.
The Senior User Experience Designer will support project teams to create user-centered designs for Merrill’s flagship Capital Markets Business Process software platform with a primary emphasis on data visualizations and dashboards. The Senior User Experience Designer will work to improve the usability, usefulness, and desirability of complex digital applications in collaboration with teams of internal employees and external partners. Responsibilities include UX discovery research, information architecture, interaction design, rapid prototyping and validation through empirical evidence gathering using both qualitative and quantitative methodologies. As well as helping identify visual user interface requirements, creating guidelines and contributing to the design language system and pattern library. The Senior User Experience Designer will be responsible for both new product ideation and continuous improvement in all stages of the product life cycle.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the latest design and research tools such as Sketch, InVision, Mural, Trello, Slack, Sketch Libraries, Craft, Appear.in, MindNode and Validately.
- Help us create our exciting new Design Language System for both web, mobile and data visualizations.
- Mobile (iOS and Android) along with responsive web experience.
- Expertise in handing off clean designs and specs to Developers.
- Convey visual design ideas in tangible forms like concepts and annotated comps.
- Apply visual language to the design of web interfaces and mobile applications for variety of devices with different screen sizes, aspect ratios and pixel densities.
- Mentoring, training and advising junior designers.
- Evangelizing Design Thinking throughout the Enterprise.
- Conduct user experience (UX) research using methods including but not limited to comparative analysis, interviews, user & task analysis, contextual inquiry. Deliverables will include personas, user scenarios, and other findings documentation.
- Responsible for information architecture and navigation design. Work with Product Managers and Engineers to develop and refine site maps and other conceptual and structural documentation deliverables. Evaluate information architecture designs via methods will include (but not be limited to) open and closed card sorts and tree testing.
- User interface (UI) design in both a lead and supporting role. Work will include leading design sessions, conducting participatory design workshops, drafting sketches, wireframes and limited functionality prototypes.
- Assist with usability testing and other evaluation methods for projects in all stages of the product life cycle. Methods will include, but not be limited to, click testing, heuristic evaluation, face-to-face moderated usability testing, and remote moderated and unmoderated usability testing.
- Must be capable of working responsively in an evolving business environment and in an Agile development framework.
- Bachelor’s degree – computer related a plus
- Masters Degree or equivalent in HCI or other related field desirable but not required.
- 5-8 years relevant work experience in user centered digital product design environments
- Experience with user interface design for digital enterprise software applications required; experience in the legal and financial services domains preferable.
- Proficient with the latest design and research tools such as Sketch, InVision, Mural, Trello, Slack, Sketch Libraries, Craft, Appear.in, MindNode and Validately.
- Impressive deductive reasoning skills
- Solid grasp of graphic design, visual communications, web design, or design strategy.
- Experience with Design Language Systems
- Excellent visual design skills, layout, typography, and colors.
- Experience in Mobile (iOS, Android) and responsive web
- Top notch with running Design Critiques from both sides of the table
- Experience with a range of research and evaluation techniques and current user centered design research, theories and methodologies
- UI design experience grounded in both information architecture and interaction design
- Experience successfully applying UX design practices in an Agile software development environment.
- Experience with responsive and/or adaptive design highly desirable.
- Ability to interact with internal/external clients/customers in a professional manner.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and in conjunction with team members and product groups.
- Enthusiasm and flexibility to work on a variety of projects is necessary, as well as the ability to rapidly acquire new domain familiarity.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.