“That move was so easy. Honestly, I enjoyed it so much, I’d like to do it again.” -said no one ever. What kind of product could turn one of the most challenging experiences someone has into one of the most rewarding? We’re looking for an exceptionally talented product designer to join our team and build the next generation of Updater products to do just that.
Updater is one of the fastest growing tech companies in NYC, and our goal is to streamline the moving process for the millions of households who move each year. Moving is complicated, but it shouldn’t be. That’s why our platform is comprised of a suite of both business and consumer-facing apps: from a consumer-facing platform, to a variety of products for real estate companies, to an API and an Integrations Platform.
As a product designer, you’ll be joining our nascent design group at Updater, focused on evolving our existing offering and creating new products to take the company into the next stage of our growth. This is a true opportunity to join a fast-growing team orienting around an ego-less approach to design and an open and inclusive process. We’re looking for folks who care about both what they achieve and how they achieve it. You want to see your work ship and building a culture of design across the company while you do it. You are confident in the design expertise you bring, and at the same time hungry to always add new skills and knowledge to your approach. You bring a positive energy that makes others excited to work with you. You may even have a knack for bringing out the best in your coworkers.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate daily with product, internal stakeholders, and engineers to design new features and evolve our existing offering.
- Develop a shared design system across our apps.
- Own the design process from planning, to early discovery and research, to reviewing and iterating on design work, to implementation and support for the dev team.
What you’ll have:
- 2+ years experience working as a product designer
- 5+ years experience in a related field of design, if not product design.
- A depth of knowledge and curiosity when it comes to design tools and practice.
- A strong human-centered approach to design. You understand how to integrate user feedback into your work at different stages in a project’s lifecycle.
- A pragmatic approach to working with other teams. You have clear opinions, but hold them loosely and have an interest in exploring many ways to solve a problem.
- Product, technology, and business sense. You care about the impact of your work on the business and the end user.
- The breadth of hard and soft skills to take a project from start to finish.
- A design superpower. Maybe it’s strategy, or interaction design, or visual design. You have an expertise that the rest of the team can tap into and learn from.
- An approach to design that includes others and turns them into advocates for design. You communicate effectively and treat feedback as both an opportunity to learn and to teach.
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.