Product Designer, Design Systems
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that combines engaging, leveled content with integrated formative assessments and insights to supercharge engagement and learning in every subject. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
We are looking for a Design Systems Designer who is ready to help scale design at Newsela. Familiarity with crafting unified design systems to drive greater efficiency is expected, but we are also looking for someone that is eager to learn, and a big picture thinker who also sweats the details.
- Interaction design. You geek out on coming up with the perfect affordances, transitions, latest web and mobile patterns but always use accessibility guidelines and usability findings to inform your design decisions. You breakdown complex features into reusable components that ultimately help users find what they are looking for and get the job done.
- Visual design. You have impeccable taste and pixel perfect standards across various platforms (iOS, Android and Web). You have a deep understanding of grids, colors, layout, imagery, iconography and typography.
- Process. You think in terms of design systems. As the system evolves, you’ll proactively collaborate with front-end engineers and help designers make rational design choices based on new and existing components that you make. You’ll also be responsible for maintaining and documenting how they behave to make sure teams stay consistent and have what they need to design their feature set.
- Communication. As one of the key owners for the design system, you regularly share updates to designers when new components are available as well as educate the wider organization on how it works and the impact it brings to the organization. You make sure that other designers get the most out of the system.
- Technical. You’re familiar with the fundamentals of front end code (React, HTML, CSS, JS), Sketch, Invision, and latest prototyping tools
- Team culture. Be generous and collaborate with other team members. Work closely with engineers to problem solve and implement components.
- Data. Become familiar with what product metrics matter and use them to inform your design decisions.
The Ideal Candidate
- 4+ years of experience in design positions working on design systems in rapidly growing ecommerce, online media, or subscription-based companies.
- A diverse portfolio of work for a variety of target audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to explain rationale behind design decisions they are making.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Computer Interaction Design, or a similar field.
- Passionate about product design, making a difference in education and eager to learn and teach others.
- Adept at cross-functional collaboration and communicating about design with non-designers.
- Able to keep multiple projects on track and meet deadlines while adjusting priorities as necessary.
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, agile environment with colleagues who feel as passionate about doing great work as you do.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.