Staff Research Scientist / Lead Research Scientist
Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers and partners), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 300 people across our offices in New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and in sales offices around the globe, we’re dedicated to our trailblazing mission—enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About our Engineering & Data Science Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s engineering & data science team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who like to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform.
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. Here are some high-level areas you could help within our NY, CHI or SF offices:
- Improve the accuracy and efficiency of one of the premier Place search APIs in existence. Our API powers apps from Microsoft, Uber, Samsung, and Twitter, as well as our own CityGuide and Swarm apps.
- Enhance our machine learning systems that process and derive insights from billions of location data points every day.
- Improve the effectiveness of our widely-used snap-to-place technologies, Attribution methodologies and other areas that connect data research to real-world use cases.
About the Role:
This role needs an effective mix of technical product management skills with research skills and mathematical creativity. Foursquare's core technology is based around location intelligence, machine learning, and a combination of data science and big data engineering.
There are several industry problems where we work on the cutting edge. As a research science lead on this team, you will be in the role of an ideator and driver, working on problems in snap-to-place, geodata, and other areas. You will work closely with engineers and data scientists, as well as with the product org and across teams to design, solve problems, and identify opportunities to drive value into our products.
This role requires a strong background in applied machine learning and data science; we need someone who can apply modern methodologies when needed and also knows when to keep things simple.
This role reports directly to the Senior Director of Engineering and Data Science and will have an impact on multiple product lines. In addition to a quantitative background and domain expertise, we will be looking for somebody with excellent communication skills and the ability to present and explain to an audience.
- 8+ years of work (private sector or research) in data science, machine learning, and statistics.
- 5+ years of experience in lead role or cross-cutting role preferred.
- Proven track record of delivering on products and/or applied research endeavors.
- Strong communicator; able to persuade, teach and broadcast to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Master's degree or Ph.D. in relevant quantitative area preferred, as well as a strong and broad mathematical background.
- Experience in tech and working with engineers is preferred.
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.