Sr Data Engineer
Simon Data was founded in 2015 by a team of successful serial entrepreneurs. We're a data-first marketing platform startup, and we approach our work seriously; we tackle problems in a scrappy and disruptive fashion, yet we build for scale to support our clients at big data volume.
We are the first and only enterprise customer data platform with a fully-integrated marketing cloud. Moving beyond the limitations of both categories, Simon’s platform empowers businesses to leverage enterprise-scale big data and machine learning to power customer communications in any channel. Simon’s unique approach allows brands to develop incredible personalization capabilities without needing to build and maintain massive bespoke data infrastructure.
Our culture is rooted in organizational transparency, empowering individuals, and an attitude of getting things done. If you want to be a valuable contributor on a team that cultivates these core values we would love to hear from you.
Does your perfect job involve working with petabytes of data or constructing data pipes that operate over widely diverse industries? Do you get excited about the chance for your hard work to have a tangible impact on the bottom line of each of our clients?
As a Senior Data Engineer at Simon, you’ll immediately dive into a system of multiple streaming and batch pipelines that process petabytes of data daily. You’ll be busy putting your skills to work: a readiness to tackle complex problems; a passion for building fault tolerant, highly available systems; and mindfulness to adapt as our business continues to 10x in scale.
The Simon data pipes are the backbone of our platform and critical to our clients’ success. You will play a pivotal role in our ability to sustainably and rapidly move the data that powers our platform to engage with hundreds of millions of customers -- sending over billions of messages annually.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Create, scale, and own data pipelines using batch and streaming tools like Python, Spark, Kinesis, Redshift, Snowflake and Elasticsearch or leveraging new technologies
- Architect and develop new data products for our clients like new reporting capabilities or data transformation tooling for clients
- Construct the platform and tools for our clients to self serve their data engineering needs on the Simon system
- Contribute to the Simon Data ecosystem to address ever-changing requirements of scale
- Develop an expertise in profiling and debugging AWS services to define performant usage patterns
- Collaborate every day with a team of your peers, all of whom are passionate about quality, staying ahead of the curve, and continuous improvement
- Participate in team-wide discussions ranging from architecture to developer productivity to security to the best Gary Oldman movie
- Be a part of establishing our mark in Open Source Software as well as promoting and sharing it at conferences locally and nationwide
- Minimum of 4 years of experience designing, deploying, and owning several substantive data engineering or analysis projects with company-wide impact
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with various functional owners in your company (spanning product management, program management, as well as Dev/Tech Ops)
- Proficient with at least one mainstream programming language (Python, Java, Scala, C#, Ruby, etc.)
Visa sponsorship for this role is currently not available
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.