Senior Data Analyst
As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Global Data Analytics team enables Discovery to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company efforts to increase revenue, drive ratings, and enhance consumer engagement.
The Senior Data Analyst will be part of our growing data strategy & analytics team. The person will work as a data product owner, technical business resource, and data analyst to help prioritize requirements based on value and effort, perform data analysis and drive actionable insights.
This person will be a key technical member of analytical projects from the beginning stages of requirements gathering all the way through final product delivery. Thus, this role will require a person with strong analytics experience, experienced with aspects of product and project management, eager to learn and apply new tools, and comfortable working across multiple business units.
This will be a hands-on technical role, which will require the ability to assess gaps in functionality and pitch creative technical solutions in a way that suits our business needs. Writing Python scripts and SQL queries will be a fundamental part of the role.
The Analyst will be comfortable with the connection and analysis of large, disparate data sets from a variety of sources in order to better understand viewers, increase consumer engagement, and improve marketing. This person will need both creativity and attention to detail as they envision and build data solutions that change the face of the TV industry.
1. Work closely with the Data Technology team to extract, transform and load new data sources into Discovery’s central data repository for analytics
2. Measure & analyse data quality and performance within Discovery’s central data repository for analytics
3. Test & QA data coming from various sources to make sure it is legible, clean and transformed before reporting is performed.
1. Work with managers and stakeholders to fully understand business requirements and desired outcomes
2. Ensure project delivery within the allocated timelines and priorities
3. Write SQL queries and Python scripts to perform analysis.
4. Assist in scoping & designing analytical projects and solutions. Execute analytics projects ranging from small to large either individually or as part of a project team
5. Document & record data definitions and structure as well as specifications for Business Intelligence reports & dashboards
6. Complete data cleansing & preparation for analysis
7. QA and test various calculations of dashboards based on business requirements
8. Develop & deploy various analytics dashboards
9. Generate queries & data dictionaries, analyse data and create visualization/dashboards related to audience and direct-to-consumer insights
10. Extract, understand, format and map data from multiple sources into cohesive reports
11. Utilise Business Intelligence tools to build reports that will allow departments to visualise and interact with data
12. Identify gaps and areas of improvement related to data analytics
13. Support roll-out of multiple sprints as a key technical resource
1. Work closely with data science team to support data and statistical models
2. Identify opportunities to create and automate repeatable analysis or build self-service tools for business users
3. Create repeatable processes to that focus on delivering self-service focused solutions
* Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or Data Science, or relevant work experience.
* Minimum of 3-5 years proven technical data analysis experience
* Knowledge of Python, SQL, UNIX command-line, and Git; or familiarity and a desire to learn.
* Thorough understanding of data modelling and relational/non-relational databases
* Experience with Amazon Web Services (RedShift, S3, EC2, Data Pipeline, EMR, etc.)
* Ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
* Proficiency & advanced level understanding of MS Excel or Google Sheets is a must
* Deep experience in developing queries and reporting based upon user requirements
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
* Genuine interest in the rapidly changing video industry with understanding of OTT video services and direct to consumer technologies
* Working experience/certifications in Agile (Scrum) and/or Lean (Kanban) delivery frameworks preferred
* Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
* Experience with Tableau or other data visualization software a plus.
* Knowledge of digital marketing or advertising a plus.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States