Research Lead (Contract)
Hinge is looking for a Research Lead to answer this question: What should a Hinge user do to find success in their dating life? The culmination of the project is a publishable report, rigorously supported through research and data, that can be shared with our users and press, perhaps under the moniker Hinge Labs or similar. Along the way, important insights can affect change in product and marketing. The ideal candidate would be able to speak to the report on camera. The contents of the report may range from app usage tactics, personal habits, mindset, or anything else. You will be supported by data science, research operations / budget, and the Hinge team at large. You will report to the CPO, though this is not a traditional user research role which would have more targeted focuses.
Success in the contract would be to increase Hinge’s status as an authority on dating, and to improve the user experience through changes to the product - either through delivering better advice to users or by changing the nature of the product to naturally elicit the recommended behaviors. If this experimental initiative is successful and shows that this style of research can be a sustainable source of value for our users and business, we will be excited to hire full-time and potentially build a lean team under you.
- Talk to Hinge users, getting in tune with modern dating.
- Learn from the accrued institutional wisdom of the Hinge team.
- Work with data science both to validate hypotheses and create new ones. You are largely autonomous especially with exploration, but will be eagerly supported.
- Uncover what has worked for individuals, what is causative, and what is influenceable. ie People who do X have more success, others would benefit too, and we can elicit it.
- Decide the scope of the report to fit the time constraint, and the methodology to achieve credible and impactful results.
- Communicate insights as you make progress.
- 5+ years of experience managing rigorous research studies - pairing qualitative insights with quantitative evidence.
- You have personally conducted focus groups and interviews, written surveys, observed experiments, etc - with expertise in best practices.
- You are able to analyze large complex data-sets with statistically appropriate methods. Experience with R or Python preferred; experience with SQL would be a bonus.
- PhD in behavioral, psychological, or social science - or comparable industry experience.
We believe the quality of your relationships determines the quality of your life. So when it comes to your most important relationship, it makes sense to take a more thoughtful approach. Hinge provides an alternative to swipe culture by creating smart matches and natural conversations among people who are on the same page. That’s why 75% of our first dates turn into second dates, and why we’re the #1 mobile-first dating app mentioned in the NYTimes Wedding section. Hinge is where the next generation is going when they’re over dating games and ready to find meaningful connections.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.