Engineer: Managed Databases
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers would love.
We are looking for a senior engineer who will work on a small team to develop across the whole stack of our current and future systems. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Storage team.
DigitalOcean’s Storage Team builds and runs cloud-scale distributed powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly and easily as possible. We’re looking for engineers to work on this team responsible end to end from design, implementation and improve DO time series systems. This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC, Cambridge, MA, and Palo Alto, CA.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Develop our Managed Databases (DBaaS) products in Golang
- Work on technically challenging distributed systems
- Collaborate with an agile, self-managed team of peers
- Leverage interesting technologies such as Go, Docker, Kafka, and more
- Integrate with many components across the DigitalOcean stack
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Go (highly preferred), C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, and/or Perl
- Extensive experience using both relational (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL (Redis) database systems
- Prior experience using Apache Kafka in a production environment
- Love writing and improving code with an emphasis on testing and maintainability
- Works well in a small team, able to balance and prioritize projects and requests
- Demonstrated ability to work at multiple levels of the stack in a fast-paced startup environment
- Has used multiple programming languages to build production systems
- Has experience with distributed computing systems
- Knowledge of virtualization concepts and application
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!