Director of Data Warehouse
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than five years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, all 50 U.S. states, and over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
In 2019, Newsela will be expanding its internal data capacities and created a well defined and well-documented data warehouse. The Director of Data Warehouse will lead and oversee the team of people who own this work. Additionally, the role will oversee and bring the Data Engineering and Business Intelligence teams into one working group. You will work closely with business and technical stakeholders as well as Analysts and Data Scientists to help ensure they have easy access to the data they need to help deliver impactful analysis.
The successful candidate is a natural leader, is organized, detail-oriented, entrepreneurial and loves working with technical and non-technical users alike.
Some examples of projects:
- Oh no! We have multiple databases of schools that we need to get to work together. Figure out how to intelligently deduplicate and map the data sets together so that our Sales team know who they’re talking to.
- We’ve got numbers user actions taking place on the site and need to develop a functional data model to allow Product managers the ability to use Looker to explore the dataset and understand how and where users are dropping out of a funnel.
Lead a team in writing thoughtful code, building and documenting data models and providing easy access to data and insights.. Work with our Product, Data Science, and Revenue teams to create and maintain various kinds of analytical services and data systems. Build out our data infrastructure, which includes ingestion, storage, and analysis at scale, as well as the reporting systems used by analysts throughout the company. Act as the primary owner for the technical layer of our data systems, which currently include various items within the AWS stack as well as Luigi for our ETL framework
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline.
- 5+ years experience in building, developing and documenting data warehouse systems & teams.
- Has experience with technologies like (we use AWS mostly, but equivalents are fine)
- data pipelining and ETL (e.g. Kinesis, Lambda, S3, Luigi)
- distributed computing platforms (e.g. MapReduce, EMR, Spark)
- data warehousing (e.g. Redshift)
- reporting systems (e.g. Looker, Tableau)
- 2+ years Data Warehouse or BI management expertise
- Has a bias towards leading by example
Some Plusses Include
- Demonstrated contributions to complex, high-traffic, performance-optimized web applications.
- 3+ years of experience in leadership roles or engineering management.
- Hands on experience using Looker, SFDC, DJANGO,
- Experience working at a fast-growing start-up, preferably in SaaS.
- Familiar with K12 Education
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.