Director of Data Science
About the company
At Covera Health, we have proven that advanced data science can prevent serious misdiagnoses which result in poor outcomes for patients and increased costs for payers. Using our proprietary framework, we help patients recover better, faster, and more affordably. Today, we are working with some of the largest healthcare payers in the country to potentially impact millions of patient lives. We are passionate about improving healthcare for every patient.
About the role
We are looking for a talented Director of Data Science to join us in our commitment to improve the quality of care for patients in every community across the nation. It is crucial that you have a Masters or PhD with a thesis and work in application of statistical analysis or machine learning methodologies.
You will bring healthcare data analytics leadership experience to provide technical leadership and mentorship to our Data Science team, ensuring sound modeling, methodologies, and best practices are employed by our team to develop and improve patient outcomes. You will partner with each data science team member to identify and prioritize opportunities to improve collection of data and analysis. You will remain on the cutting edge of technology advancements and have the opportunity to work with entirely unique and diverse healthcare data sets. You will have a critical impact on the whole company by influencing our data analytics strategy and driving to improve the quality of care for millions of patients.
You will be expected to:
- Bring healthcare analytics leadership to drive improved quality of care treatment outcomes in various patient populations
- Lead a team of data scientists and their application of statistical modeling, machine learning, computer vision, and other analytical tools and methodologies
- Drive operational efficiencies and influence team development to implement healthcare quality-focused analysis
- Proactively identify new ways to use data or ways to augment data to improve effectiveness and efficiency across all data science roles and broader company
- Identify and integrate new data sources to improve metrics and models
- Serve as a thought leader to our team in troubleshooting issues and developing analytical approaches that drive significant business value
- Implement best practices in data management, quality control processes, and maintaining code/documentation repositories
- Prioritize and communicate the data science work and tasks based on our company objectives
- Own and present findings to various stakeholders across the company, and mentor the team to grow in their presentation skills
- Collaborate cross-functionally with internal Clinical, Healthcare Provider Partnerships, Operations, and Engineering teams to optimize our use of data and analytics to develop all insights
- 5+ years work experience as a Data Scientist
- 3+ years work as a senior leader and manager among a Data Science team
- PhD or MS in computer science or related field from top academic program, including a thesis project focused on the application or improvement of data science methodologies in healthcare
- Extensive experience developing causal inference models, longitudinal healthcare data analysis, Bayesian statistical modeling, or machine learning analysis of healthcare data
- Extensive experience with Python, R, SQL
- Experience developing code that is leveraged by a wider team and/or contributing to a collaborative code base
- Experience configuring and executing analyses in the cloud (e.g. using AWS resources)
- Strong communicator with excellent ability to work in a team environment
- Experience working with medical data
You will be a full-time employee with competitive salary, stock options, and great benefits. These benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance (with premiums fully covered), FSA, pre-tax commuter benefits, flexible paid time off, and a comfortable office space filled with a variety of quality snacks and beverages. Most importantly, you’ll get to know each of us and we love to work together to find solutions. We are a smart, fun, focused, and unique team of people who are truly passionate about changing healthcare for the better!