Data Systems Engineer
Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Infrastructure
Gemini’s Infrastructure team are key experts in building and operating Gemini's world class cryptocurrency exchange systems and networks, using a combination of high-speed data center equipment and cloud-hosted components. With a focus on building, automating, and scaling Gemini’s product offerings, the Infrastructure keeps a close eye on the horizon and thinks steps ahead of the company’s business needs to collaboratively build and scale its growing footprint.
The Role: Data Systems Engineer
As a member of our Data/Operations team, you will shape the way we approach data at Gemini. You will have a hand in building innovative and robust data solutions to stay ahead of our business growth. The ideal candidate is passionate about helping data engineers, data analysts and data scientists to build the best in class data and business intelligence infrastructure in the market. The candidate will ensure that the data team has the tools and processes to establish a data driven culture to improve the products, achieve KPIs, perform robust data analyses and allow them to be the decision support system of the organization.
- Design and implement data infrastructure to build data lake, data warehouse and scalable analytical solutions.
- Develop new systems, tools and processes to enable the teams to consume and understand data more intuitively.
- Build and maintain Dev, QA and Prod data environments.
- Utilize automation (via Ansible) to improve productivity, workflow, and technology deployment.
- Build and maintain data archival/purging process for production databases.
- Design, build, and launch efficient and reliable data pipelines into production.
- Build data streaming solutions to effectively capture source data streams.
- Partner with data engineers, project managers, and analysts to setup and manage deployment process for ETL/ELT, data streaming and analytical processes.
- Evaluate and implement new technologies.
- Troubleshoot data infrastructure and application performance issues, find bottlenecks and improve performance.
- Participate in the team's 24/7 on-call rotation.
- 4+ years experience with Linux system administration
- 2+ years experience with configuration management (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Salt)
- 2+ years experience with metrics collection and monitoring (open source or commercial)
- 2+ years experience in data engineering and/or data warehouse technologies
- 4+ years experience with custom ETL design and implementation
- 4+ Experience with relational databases
- Strong experience with Python and SQL
- Experience building and scaling distributed, highly available systems
- Familiarity with infrastructure management and operations lifecycle concepts and ecosystem
- 4+ years running bare-metal systems
- System tuning and kernel optimization
- 2+ years experience in cloud platform administration
- Experience working with Kafka and data streaming solution is a plus
- Experience with Continuous integration and deployment
- Knowledge and experience of financial markets, banking or exchanges
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.