Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, and chance encounters become lifelong connections. Meetup brings people together to create thriving communities. Show up. Change lives.
Data Scientists are part of Meetup's Data and Machine Learning Engineering Team and partner with teams throughout the company to identify and execute on the most impactful product and business opportunities. We are passionate about sparking real-life communities that can change lives and change the world, by redefining how all teams at Meetup use data. Our team is relatively new, so our work runs the gamut of munging data, supporting the development of our data warehouse and pipeline, consulting with client teams, building models and visualizing and presenting results. If you are a data scientist who nerds out on data and wants to drive critical projects with our internal teams and business to deliver data-informed insights that impact how the world uses Meetup, we want to hear from you!
- Can connect data to business problems and clearly communicate the benefits, risks, and trade-offs
- Believes that data integrity is paramount and obsesses about figuring things out
- Is self-motivated, eager to create something new, and always looking to improve upon existing processes, tools and methodologies
- Loves working with both people and numbers to help teams answer complex questions
- Is passionate about building community all over the world
Role and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with strategy, product, and data teams to map business needs to existing metrics or possible solutions, and then surface this information in our reporting platform
- Advise on and promote good experimental design and evaluation, as we quickly iterate on product changes
- Rapidly prototype and validate new metrics and models to generate new impactful insights about our members so we can better serve them and their communities
- Craft clear and comprehensible data visualizations that enable teams to easily understand and act upon the output of an analysis
- Analyze performance bottlenecks and recommend optimizations as we continually improve the performance of our tools
- 3+ years working with data analytics, data warehousing practices, ETL pipelines, experimentation, and modeling
- Proficiency in statistics and experiment design
- Partnering directly with clients (either internal or external) and leading projects with multiple work streams
- Meticulous attention to detail and an obsession with 'getting it right'
- Advanced SQL and proficiency with one or more scripting languages: Python, Scala or R preferred
- An optimistic outlook on what is possible to achieve and a passionate drive toward getting to that place
- Experience with data technologies like Hadoop, Hive, and Spark
- Bonus points: Building and analyzing web and mobile applications, and business intelligence tools
Our team is bold, supportive, and passionate about bringing people together in real life to create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change and building diverse, dynamic teams. You in?
Please include a cover letter with your application telling us why you are the perfect fit for this role, and Meetup in particular!