Data Scientist - Forecasting & Optimization
The Farmer’s Dog is the leading tech-enabled pet health brand on a mission to disrupt the $90b global pet food industry. The company is VC backed by the early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
In an industry with little regulation, constant recalls, and rampant misleading advertising, The Farmer’s Dog brings a fresh perspective that all dog lovers have been waiting for. Utilizing its proprietary technology, The Farmer’s Dog’s first service reimagines pet food by making healthy, fresh food incredibly easy to feed. Vet-developed subscriptions are personalized to each customer, while fresh, human-grade food is pre-portioned for each dog and home-delivered within days of cooking. The service has delivered millions of meals and is quickly revolutionizing the broken pet food industry.
The company was launched after Brett’s battle to cure his dog’s stomach issues illustrated how processed and un-healthy even “organic” and “natural” pet food truly was. After testing every pet food on the market without success, Brett resorted to a fresh, home-cooked diet at his vet’s recommendation. The results were staggering — Jada was cured. Once he realized how powerful and healthy fresh food can be, he team up with Jonathan to develop a fresh alternative to pet food and create the product they wished existed for their own dogs (and dogs everywhere).
Join The Farmer’s Dog team on its mission to bring peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and fundamentally change the way people think about caring for their pets.
Only “dream job” applicants, please. #mustlovedogs
The Farmer’s Dog is looking for a Data Scientist to join the Data Strategy & Insights team. You will be tasked with leveraging diverse data sets and your math skills to deepen and broaden the insights provided through our data as they relate to operations, finance, marketing, customer experience, and all aspects of our business.
As a Data Scientist, you will be a strong collaborator with the many amazing people at the Farmers Dog.
Example projects you could work on:
- Work closely with our marketing team to more deeply understand how the impact of our different approaches for communicating the benefits of fresh food for dogs
- Provide insights to our CX / Customer Service teams on which issues most deeply affect our customers
- Work with operations to help optimize fulfillment across different regions
You should feel extremely comfortable with all aspects of
- Forecast models
- Optimization problems
- Feature reduction
- Feature engineering
- Working with imbalanced data
- Data cleaning and wrangling
- Bayesian methods
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
Have a look at our company and the other roles we are hiring. If this is your dream job, we encourage you to apply, regardless if the description below is you or not. Maybe we got it wrong? If so, show us.
In our mind, our ideal candidate might have a background similar to the following:
- An advanced degree in a quantitative or social sciences field
- Work experience in a high tech company
- Work experience in a retail or e-commerce business
- A meaningful personal project
- Ability to work in quick iterations, communicating strongly and openly between iterations.
- Natural curiosity -- asking the next question and seeking to understand at the nuanced level to spark a new idea
- Plays nicely with others (humans and dogs)
- Prefer dogs to other species.
Health, dental, avocado toast, puppies. Beat that Google
Additionally, in this highly visible role you will have the opportunity to elevate the analytics functions at The Farmer's Dog through partnering with stakeholders at all levels of the company. In doing so, you’ll not only help analyze and understand trends, but you’ll have an active voice in the development and growth of the business.