Data Scientist, Analytics Team
Foursquare is a technology company that enriches consumer experiences and informs business decisions through location intelligence. A community of more than 50 million people use the Foursquare City Guide and Foursquare Swarm apps and websites to discover new places, explore the world and check in. They have written more than 95 million tips and checked in over 12 billion times. Foursquare powers location data for Snapchat, Apple, Uber, Twitter and 125,000 other developers. Foursquare’s business solutions also include Pinpoint, Attribution, Pilgrim SDK and Foursquare Analytics, which empower brands to understand and connect to targeted audiences as well as measure foot traffic and advertising success.
About this position:
Foursquare is expanding its world class Analytics team with the mission of reinventing how the digital and physical world is connected using our proprietary location intelligence technology. Foursquare is seeking a NYC-based talented analytics professional to help with all aspects of strategic insight development, leveraging our unique foot traffic panel and location technology. Reporting into the Head of Analytics, this role will work closely with the engineering, product and the sales organizations to optimize the company’s B2B products. The data scientist will work with the cross-functional product teams to develop compelling and innovative applications of our data, and build out methods for improving our algorithms and product quality.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable in a fluid start-up environment and will bring an energetic, fun, and creative approach to their work. They should be a motivated self-starter with exceptional analytic and problem-solving skills. Industry experience in predictive modeling, data science and strategic analytics with large datasets is preferred. We're looking for those who are interested in location-based services, learning new skills on an advanced platform, and producing high quality.
- 3+ years professional work experience as a Data Scientist on an Analytics team or similar environment, working with large datasets or on big data products
- Expertise in SQL and at least one functional or statistical programming language (e.g., Python, R, Scala)
- A solid understanding of methodology, data & systems from a broad range of research & analytics providers, including emerging tools and methods
- Strong business acumen and ability to strategically think about business objectives and strategic initiatives
- Experience in any of the following fields: strategic analytics, marketing analytics, digital analytics, data analytics, statistics, data science, big data, normalization, modeling, quant research, analytics consulting
- Familiarity with Foursquare or location data and an ability to clearly understand our underlying data assets
- Ability to distill complex statistical concepts and methodology, and articulate insights to cross-functional teams and clients with varying levels of knowledge in this space
- Must be a self-motivated team player and comfortable working in a small, fast paced, exciting environment
- Ability to think strategically and tie analytical work to business strategy
- MS or PhD in Data Science/Statistics/Mathematics/Engineering/Other quantitative field of study, or a BS with extensive experience in the field
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.