Data Center Capacity Planner
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about creating tactical and strategic plans for our core infrastructure, our data centers.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Capacity & Supply Chain, the Data Center Capacity Planner will ensure all supporting infrastructure is readily available in our DC’s to support both internal and customer facing products and services.
You will be working closely with various infrastructure team to understand how the nuts and bolts of our hypervisors and network equipment support our customers. You will dig deep into underlying data alongside our DNA and Data Science team to provide recommendations and mitigate capacity concerns.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Perform data center space planning to develop rack elevations with estimated power consumption
- Serve as a resource to other Capacity Planners in and outside of Technical Infrastructure in improving utilization or performance through capacity planning and requirements development.
- Work with next generation platform (servers, networking, storage, data center design, etc.) teams to understand the impact of new technology and architecture on data center capacity
- Partner with technical program management team to incorporate internal service requirements
- Aggregate product level capacity plans into master data center rack and power level plan
- Develop annual plans for data center capacity, space and power requirements
- Power utilization planning and analysis at various levels of electrical infrastructure
- Coordinate sequential plans consisting of equipment overbuilds, set implementation priorities, and timing
- Liaise with our data center providers on builds, expansions and contract renewals
- Routinely assess data center markets for market availability and forecast when additional data center capacity will be required
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Prior experience in a planning role, preferably at a data center or colocation company
- Working knowledge of fundamental data center resource constraints
- Knowledge of dependencies within and between data center resources design and equipment resiliency planning
- Strong analytical and communication skills, a risk mitigation mindset and exhibit appropriate levels of urgency
- Experience in interacting with data structures (using Excel and/or SQL) to build reports and make recommendations
- Experience with DCIM or other planning software utilities a plus
- Exposure to—or interest in—cloud services, data center, networking and various types of server technology would be beneficial
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.