theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm’s Data & Analytics team provides robust measurement and actionable insights on our growing membership base. We partner closely with product, engineering, and marketing teams to build innovative products, understand customer demand signals, and measure growth and engagement. As our company grows, we’re looking for a Data Analyst to join our team as we refine and centralize may of our data activities. Reporting to theSkimm’s VP of Analytics, you touch product, marketing and all business metrics and should be a curious and natural problem solver. To be successful at theSkimm, you should be a motivated self-starter, confident in both written and verbal communication, and have a strong ability to work cross functionally with all levels of the company.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Owning theSkimm’s business intelligence tool and building dashboards to understand KPIs and ensure that knowledge is shared across teams
- Working with our a) engineers to define and build out the ideal analytics infrastructure, b) product team to prioritize and answer the most important behavioral questions c) acquisition and marketing teams to measure performance, and d) editorial team to identify themes among top performing content
- Making use of raw data to identify actionable trends related to our users’ product usage and make recommendations on product optimizations
- Segmenting our users to understand their different motivations and use cases along with our ability to fulfill those needs and add meaningful value
- Conducting funnel, retention, and churn analyses to identify points of friction and/or opportunities for improvement
- Designing and analyzing tests in order to inform key product decisions
- Developing a sound understanding of the role of each product within theSkimm’s ecosystem of products
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 4-6 years of experience as a data analyst or data scientist
- To be beyond comfortable with data
- To be extremely creative and resourceful in order to solve complex problems
- A sound understanding of cohort analyses
- Fluency with SQL
- Strong attention to detail
- To be a self-starter with a proven ability to handle stressful situations
- A desire to learn new skills and get outside your comfort zone
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience with business intelligence tools (e.g, Looker, Tableau, Mode)
- Experience with Python or another scripting language
- Experience in Media or Publishing
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
- High EQ
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Equity for all employees
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine, and a pretty sweet roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY