Writer/Editor, Content Development
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
TheSkimm is looking for an experienced Senior Editor to help lead content development initiatives. You’ll be working under a Managing Editor to help brainstorm, plan, and execute, and write new editorial content across all of theSkimm’s platforms. This role is for someone who’s interested in working on the editorial side of the business across multiple platforms and teams. It’s a role for someone who is looking for a new challenge every day, and is able to balance multiple projects at once. This is not a role for someone interested in a personal byline.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Helping develop, plan, and executive new, multi-platform content projects, including: theSkimm’s 2020 political campaign, events series, and editorial partnerships
- Writing internal communications in theSkimm’s voice around new content initiatives
- Communicating and managing new content plans to the rest of the editorial team
- Working closely with sales, product, and marketing teams as we launch personal finance products and platforms and a political campaign for 2020
- Helping to manage the editorial side of all partnerships, including first passes at writing content
- Supporting creative content strategy for all new projects at the company
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ yrs experience in writing and 2+ yrs experience in editing
- Project management experience
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Previous experience coaching more junior team members and working collaboratively across departments
- Previous experience writing and editing content on a short deadline
- Experience in a fast paced environment, with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
- Strong understanding of the social and digital video landscape
- Experience working on a team with various projects being developed at once
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.