Squarespace is a design-centric product company at heart, always striving for our products to enable anyone to tell their story to the world beautifully. The Product Design team is looking for a UX Writer to work with our product teams. The UX writer has ownership of copy across all our products, from labels, to error messages, to onboarding flows, and more. We're looking for an evangelist who can use words to design intelligent, accessible, and friendly user experiences.
You enjoy working through the minutiae of complex problems, love logic puzzles, and you're not fazed by a Gordian knot. You love process, but also know when you just need to get a job done. You enjoy working with introverts and strong personalities, technical and detail-oriented people, as well as big thinkers and creative types. You can handle multiple projects with ease, and know how to manage your time and prioritize your projects. You take initiative and feel a strong sense of ownership—not just for your work, but for the quality of all our products. And, you don’t need all the details to get started.
You’ll be involved throughout the process for many user-facing project in the product organization, alongside product designers, product managers, engineers, and more. This role will report into the UX Writing Manager at our New York office.
- Write and maintain UI copy across all Squarespace products
- Work with product designers and other team members on wireframes and iterative click-through prototypes
- Deliver polished UI strings to other team members
- Create rational, articulable, elegant solutions to complex problems
- Partner with technical, brand, and marketing writers to connect in-app messaging with our overall voice
- Continually seek to understand the capabilities and technical constraints of the systems with which you’ll be working
- Advocate for language in product design
- Continually improve and refine our UI and copy style guides
- 2+ years of experience writing UI copy
- Deep awareness of UX and how copy and design work together
- Passionate about consistency and details
- Experience using tools like Sketch, Figma, or similar
- Ability to ask probing questions to and give/receive feedback in an iterative environment
- Can find the shortest way to clearly communicate an idea
- Excellent sounding board; comfortable pointing out when a design could be better
- Ability to work through ambiguity and competing priorities
- Experience preparing source language for localization
A portfolio of relevant work is required for consideration. It should illustrate your experience in the design process, writing different types of UI copy, and solving real user problems through words.