Tribune Publishing is seeking a Transit Reporter to join our award-winning team at New York Daily News!
In this role, you will report and write news and feature stories about New York City’s transit system, and how it impacts the lives of New Yorkers.
At Tribune Publishing, we believe in comprehensive rewards packages:
- Competitive salaries
- Exciting opportunities with room for growth within the company
- A competitive insurance package including medical, dental, vision, and life
- 401(k) with company matching
- Paid time off
- Other coordinated discounts/perks
- To develop, report and write news and feature stories about the city’s subways, focusing not just on the nuts and bolts of the trains but the way it affects New Yorkers lives.
- Carry out investigative or explanatory projects with minimal supervision.
- To generate ideas for news, features, and enterprise pieces while demonstrating the ability to cover some of the news organization’s highest-profile stories.
- To build an advanced network of sources that keeps the New York Daily News ahead of the competition.
- Coordinate with another transit reporter to cover all angles of city transportation
- To assign photographs, video, and other visual elements, and to provide information for graphics.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience.
- At least five years of reporting experience at a daily news organization on a wide range of complex topics or a consistent demonstration of advanced reporting and writing skills as a Reporter at a hard news outlet.
- The demonstrated ability to judge the news effectively, to pursue information aggressively, and to produce accurate complete and compelling news copy on deadline for online and in print.
- A high degree of expertise in the subway system or a high degree of versatility in general assignment. Advanced knowledge of libel, privacy and access laws.
- A command of spelling, grammar, and fact-finding. A working knowledge of Web and online techniques and technologies.
- The ability to: work effectively under deadline pressure; sit for extended periods while writing and move about for interviewing and observation; conduct interviews in person and by telephone; take accurate notes; and observe persons, objects, and events both close up and far away so that they can be described in stories.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Preference given to those with access to a vehicle for use in newsgathering.
Tribune Publishing is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism, which harnesses proprietary technology to present personalized, premium content to a global audience in real time. Tribune Publishing draws content from its vast media portfolio, where a commitment to informing and inspiring communities has earned 92 Pulitzer Prizes and a monthly audience of 60 million. From pixels to Pulitzers, tronc brands optimize content and create engaging experiences for audiences across all channels. Learn more at www.tribpub.com.
At Tribune Publishing, we believe in fostering growth, learning new skills, and making sure every team member feels valued. If you think you'd be a great fit here, we'd love for you to apply!
Tribune Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.