Here’s the thing—we hate job descriptions. In our experience, they’re a terrible representation of what a job really entails and never paint a true picture of what it’s like to work at an organization.
That’s why, at Fundera, we do things differently. Instead of presenting you with some run-of-the-mill job description, we offer potential candidates our Job Spotlights. This gives us a chance to tell you the story of us, why you should work here, and what the role is really like.
This spotlight focuses in on our open Staff Writer position.
Who’s Fundera and Why Should I Care?
Fundera is the go-to, financial resource for small businesses. We’re here to help entrepreneurs achieve their financial goals and grow businesses as big as their aspirations.
As a catalyst for smart financial decisions, our combination of proprietary technology and financial expertise provides business owners with tailored solutions based on their unique needs and eligibility—helping them prosper, create more jobs, and, ultimately, grow the economy.
Armed with one of the most experienced and passionate leadership team in the business and backed by the industry’s leading investors, we’ve made a big impact on Main Street in just a short amount of time (Fundera launched in 2014 and has helped over 10,000 SMBs secure almost a billion in funding).
We’re experiencing massive growth year over year, and our impact on America’s job creators grows with us. We’re looking to further our impact and need incredible, ambitious, mission-oriented people to get there.
If you want to make a difference, if you want to create a workplace and life you love, and if you want to learn more and grow faster than you will at any other point in your career, you should keep reading.
What Is It Like to Work Here?
The easiest way to answer this is to check out our near 5-star rating on Glassdoor, take a deep dive into a few of our employee profiles, or look into some of our recent awards, like Crain’s Best Places to Work. Also, don’t forget to peep our Instagram.
For more detail, though, here are a few of our favorite things:
1. We want people who elevate the game—and we’re willing to pay for it.
2. We offer seriously competitive salaries and meaningful equity in a fast-growing company. We offer generous medical, dental, and vision insurance—you shouldn’t have to stress about your health. (And less stress makes you healthier, right?!)
3. Yes, your Fundera family is very important, but yours at home matters most. That’s why we offer incredibly generous maternity and paternity leave, have a family-friendly office, and love nothing more than seeing our Fundera kiddos at company events and socials.
4. Everybody needs a little R&R—but we want our team to have more than just a little. You’ll get flexible PTO and we mean legitimately flexible PTO.
5. We sponsor bi-weekly catered lunches with really cool speakers (like the founders of Birchbox, CityRow, and Percolate). We also host bi-weekly company happy hours, and other events such as employee-led trivia and visits to customers. It’s important to bring our team together as much as possible.
6. Transparency is what our product is built on—and so is our culture. Whether that means regular all-hands meetings, board decks circulated every month, or a highly-accessible leadership team, we’re all stakeholders in this company and never forget that.
Ultimately, at Fundera, you get to come to work with a group of supportive, talented, ambitious individuals who will teach you something new every day, whilst building a product that will truly and actually change the lives of America’s small businesses and job creators. We think it’s pretty cool, and think you will, too.
Is This Role Right for Me?
Our Staff Writer will be essential in scaling our in-house editorial efforts and improving the quality of our editorial work. If you’re interested in the position, here are a few things you’ll get to do and the qualifications we think will make someone most successful in this role.
As our Staff Writer, You’ll Get to...
- Research and write 16-20 pieces of content a month, with word counts varying from 1500-3000, under various verticals while maintaining the Fundera voice and authority.
- Work closely with our editorial team on content planning and strategy to make sure we are executing on key content opportunities.
- Contribute to various writing and revision needs across various Fundera platforms, including internal blog, and SEO pages.
- Within six months’ time, be regarded as a subject matter expert on small business finance, both within the organization and externally.
We’re Looking for People Who...
- Have examples that they’re a strong and versatile writer. You must be able to take highly complex subjects and break them down into simple and easy-to-understand concepts.
- Have proven experience or at minimum the ability to ghost-write content, effectively conveying the thought leader’s expertise and voice.
- Have experience writing for the B2B or financial space. This is a plus, as strong samples are what matter most.
- Have a desire to work autonomously and the ability to juggle multiple projects at once. You can operate with minimal direction and enjoy the learning and creativity that comes with autonomy.
- Can learn quickly. We don’t expect you to come to the table knowing the details of our industry. We’re here to help—we’ll get you the knowledge you need to write authoritatively. But we need someone who can take that knowledge and aggressively run with it.
What Will I Get Out of the Role?
An extensive portfolio of work associated with one of the most-trafficked small business sites on the web, while working within an expanding editorial team inside of one of New York’s fastest-growing startups.
What Should I Do If I’m Interested?
If working at Fundera gets you excited, we want to hear from you, regardless whether you think this role is a fit. If you think you’ve got the related experience, apply here to be our Staff Writer.