Senior Video Producer
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!
ABOUT THE ROLE AND TEAM
theSkimm’s video team is a creative, collaborative group of producers and editors from both traditional and new media backgrounds. They maintain the highest standards for journalism and integrity in storytelling, while producing distinct content for theSkimm’s unique voice and brand. As we grow, we’re looking for a Senior Producer who will be charged with editorial approach and technical execution for high profile video initiatives, including interview series with politicians, celebrities, and influencers. Reporting to theSkimm’s Senior Director of Video, you’ll collaborate cross functionally with internal teams, including Social, Editorial, Design, Sales, and Marketing to ensure optimal process from pre to post production on all future video projects.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Owning digital video projects from start to finish. Efficiently managing editorial and technical pre- and post-production (including research, scriptwriting, creative on shoots, and guiding edits)
- Interviewing politicians, entrepreneurs, influencers and celebrities for high profile video series
- Developing new and creative approaches to video projects across content verticals
- Work cross departmentally and liaise with social, web, marketing, and newsletter teams for optimal execution on owned video projects
- Managing work with freelancers and networking to bring best in class talent to theSkimm as needed
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 5+ Years in video production for a digital publisher, preferably in news media
- A strong grasp of news cycle with highest understanding of journalistic standards, research, and fact-checking
- Proven experience interviewing VIP talent, including politicians and celebrities, for media publication
- Excellent writer with ability to write in the voice of a character
- Ability to script and produce a wide range of content- explainers, docs, animation
- Meticulous organization and attention to detail
- Experience working effectively under tight deadlines
- Passionate about theSkimm and its mission
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Understanding of basic production both in studio and in the field: lighting, cameras, direction
- Editing and shooting experience (Including experience with tools, such as Premiere, Final Cut Pro, etc)
- Proven track record of growing viewership and driving audience engagement for a brand through video content
- Passion for social media and social platform specific video creation and distribution strategy
- Experience managing communications with internal and external PR/Publicists
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sip’n Skimm - a time to catch up as a group and wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY
PLEASE SUBMIT OR LINK TO THREE VIDEOS PRODUCED TO BE CONSIDERED