Senior Video Producer, Originals
The Dodo is seeking an experienced digital media producer and storyteller to join our growing Original Productions team as we continue to expand into midform social video. The Senior Producer of Originals will work with the team to produce brand-defining video content, guiding projects through each stage of the production and post-production process - from development through final deliverables. The ideal candidate will bring a unique creative vision and strong editorial voice, and constantly be working to identify new sources of content as well as new formats for storytelling.
To thrive in this role, you’ll need to excel at conceptualizing innovative ideas to tell highly engaging, emotional, positive stories about animals. You have considerable experience sourcing footage and crafting a narrative that hooks a social audience immediately and keeps them watching until the very end. You will be responsible for the creative behind each video, including writing up shot lists and interview questions, hiring the appropriate crew and managing the daily schedule to ensure timely delivery of each video. You’re comfortable with both found and original footage, and up for the challenge of telling stories that rely on both. You’ll also be responsible for acquiring supplemental footage when it’s required, as well as providing constructive, direct feedback to editors. You enjoy collaborating and being part of a team, but can also work independently when needed.
The ideal candidate is obsessed with digital media and its quickly changing landscape.You pride yourself on being nimble, and you’re always eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding the heart of the story, a competitive, data-driven mindset, a collaborative management style and an urgency for reaching a wide audience are key.
- Produce, manage and guide multiple original video series that exemplify the Dodo voice and brand from pre-production all the way through final delivery
- Work with freelance producers and shooters to acquire necessary footage
- Provide production documents for all episodes which include episode overviews, shot lists and interview questions
- Work with Post-Producer to ensure that all required assets are available for edit.
- Provide editing support when needed
- Collaborate with team members and provide support on other original productions when needed
- Conceive, develop and pitch original concepts on a consistent basis
- 5+ years of producing and editing digital video content at a media publisher
- 3+ years of field production or relevant experience
- Desire to work for a mission-driven company and a love of animals
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative midform video (please provide clips)
- Production experience: storyboarding, providing shot lists, interview questions and communicating with freelance crews
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Excellent editorial judgment and social search skills
- Able to work independently while also providing leadership and strategic thinking for a
- Able to juggle a fast-paced workload alongside management and quality control
- Able to conceptualize and then also acquire necessary assets to execute on that vision
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.