Senior Production Artist
Harry’s is a men’s grooming brand that was built out of respect for quality craftsmanship, simple design, modern convenience, and for guys who know they shouldn’t have to overpay for a great shave. We are able to deliver exceptional value and experiences to our customers because we are vertically integrated. From grinding steel into fine razors blades at our factory in Germany to selling our products directly to customers on our website and select retailers, we own the entire process.
Since launching in early 2013, we have been blown away by the customer response to our brand. Today, we have over 3 million customers and are growing fast. We’re now looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to redefine the way people interact with brands online and in stores across the country.
About the Team
The R&D Team at Harry’s is responsible for developing and launching all new products in the men’s grooming category (razor handles, cartridges, and accessories). As Harry’s continues to grow, the team will be the primary driver of innovation to support a challenging and fast-paced product road map driven by category, retail and geography expansion.
The Art Production Team is responsible for elevating the physical expression of all Harry's packaging and retail displays, while continually improving our workflow. We maintain clean and polished work, while innovating on the use of materials and methods to push our brand to stand out within the world of consumer packaging. We keep the customer at the core of all creative objectives, working hand-in-hand with Design, Product Development, and Supply Chain to create phenomenal packaging and displays.
About the Role
Production Artists at Harry's are responsible for the conversion of design files into press-ready mechanicals. While honoring the Designer’s intent in all ways possible, you will refine the design into a perfect mechanical artwork file sufficient for manufacture and public distribution. Accompanying this artwork file will be a hand-made prototype, confirming the efficacy of the design in physical form. You will also be responsible for iterating on existing designs, per cross-functional markup and art direction. Having extensive knowledge of commercial packaging, production artists will consult with designers throughout the process to make sure artwork is suited to the manufacturing technique. Production Artists will follow their projects from concept through mass production: attending press approvals on-site across the globe to ensure the highest quality results.
What you will accomplish:
- Consult with Designers throughout the development process, and honor their intent when converting their designs into manufacturable artwork files.
- Adjust typography and layout as needed to ensure typographic consistency.
- Implement markup changes without error. When blocked, work independently and effectively attain clarification and push the project forward.
- Understand and select the manufacturing processes which best suit specific designs and objectives. Create files that facilitate that manufacturing/distribution without error.
- Compare production samples against initial targets to validate critical product elements (color, finish, texture) have been met or exceeded.
- Evaluate color in-house during material sampling, and on location with our manufacturing partners. Understand how materials can affect color appearance and deliver detailed feedback to suppliers in order to achieve consistent results.
- Write perfect manufacturing specifications. Persistently verify and distribute this information across suppliers.
- Work independently and efficiently, with superb attention to detail, while under pressure, within aggressive deadlines.
This should describe you:
- 5+ years as Production Artist within a product company, design studio, creative agency, or print publication. OR, from the manufacturing side! (from a product manufacturer, printing company, packaging supplier, etc.)
- Extensive experience with a high level of confidence conducting press approvals on-site at printing and packaging suppliers. Able to build phenomenal rapport with print sales executives, and press operators alike.
- BFA/BA in Graphic Design or Media preferred. BA required.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Intimate knowledge of formal typographic and graphic design convention; ability to supply artwork in various file formats according to manufacturing process
- Expert ability to create original manufacturing die-lines, iterate, and impose artwork onto die-lines supplied by suppliers
- Professional understanding of conventional and digital printing processes as well as the concept of plate separation
- Fluent in 4-color process, Pantone matching systems, studio color management, color profiles, proofing
- Strong hands-on studio skills for prototyping packaging designs, as well as light-duty installation skills for retail merchandising
Here's who you'll work with:
- You’ll be reporting to the Production Director, sitting on the Design Team
- The Design Team is a part of the larger Global R&D function
- You’ll work with these teams cross-functionally: Supply Chain, Retail, Marketing
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.