Senior Editor, Finance
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
TheSkimm is looking for an experienced Senior Editor to help lead content creation for a new financial wellness initiative. You'll be responsible for the research, writing, fact checking, and storytelling aspect of financial wellness content at theSkimm. The Senior Editor will report to the Managing Editor of Content Development. This role is not for someone interested in their personal byline.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Help to develop a format, tone, and fact checking process for multiplatform financial wellness content
- Ideate around how best to bring financial wellness content to different platforms
- Translate financial content using theSkimm’s unique voice and editorial approach
- Write and edit financial wellness content written by other members of theSkimm’s editorial team
- Work closely with the sales, product, and marketing teams as we launch personal finance products and platforms
- Manage the frequency and product schedule of financial content creation
- Help to manage the editorial side of financial partnerships
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 5+ yrs experience in financial writing or editing for a media organization
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Strong understanding of financial markets, investing, and personal finance
- Previous experience translating financial content into a more casual tone
- Previous experience coaching more junior team members and working collaboratively across departments
- Previous experience writing and editing content on a short deadline
- Experience in a fast paced environment, with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
- Strong understanding of the social and digital video landscape
- Ability to write in the voice of a character
- Passionate about theSkimm and its mission
WHAT WE ALSO OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sip’n Skimm - a time to catch up as a group and wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY