Tronc (formerly Tribune Publishing) is seeking an experienced Reporter with a background in public health reporting to join our team at New York Daily News. He/She will report and write news and project-level investigations for online and print – especially content that requires a high degree of specialized knowledge and/or advanced writing skills to explain complex issues.
At tronc, we believe in comprehensive rewards packages:
- Competitive salaries
- Exciting opportunities with room for growth within the company
- A competitive insurance package including medical, dental, vision, and life
- 401(k) with company matching
- Paid time off
- Other coordinated discounts/perks
- To develop, report and write news and long form investigations for online and in print; conceive of and carry out investigative or explanatory projects with minimal supervision.
- To generate ideas for news, features, and enterprise pieces while demonstrating the ability to cover some of the news organization’s highest-profile stories.
- To build an advanced network of sources that keeps the New York Daily News ahead of the competition online and in print.
- To act as a newsroom leader and mentor, teaming with less experienced writers, coaching them in writing and reporting, and leading in-house training.
- To write at a senior level, with the ability to make a 5-inch brief sing as well as churn out a 40-inch spread from multiple runner feeds on deadline.
- To assign photographs, video, and other visual elements and to provide information for graphics.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience.
- At least five years of reporting experience at a daily news organization on a wide range of complex topics, with preference given to candidates with a background in health reporting.
- The demonstrated ability to judge the news effectively, to pursue information aggressively, and to produce accurate complete and compelling news copy on deadline for online and in print.
- A high degree of expertise in a public health or health-related topics AND a high degree of versatility in general assignment.
- Advanced writing and rewriting skills with a proven ability to take feeds from multiple stringers to create a cohesive and well-written final product.
- Advanced knowledge of libel, privacy and access laws.
- A command of spelling, grammar, and fact-finding.
- A working knowledge of Web and online techniques and technologies, and the ability to use a PC for extended periods for writing and posting of content.
- The ability to: work effectively under deadline pressure; sit for extended periods while writing and move about for interviewing and observation; conduct interviews in person and by telephone; take accurate notes; and observe persons, objects, and events both close up and far away so that they can be described in stories.
- A valid driver’s license and preference given to those with access to a vehicle for use in newsgathering.
- Must be able and willing to work irregular hours, weekends and holidays as necessary, and must be familiar with computers and software, including Internet software.
New York Daily News has been serving New York City for nearly 100 years and is part of tronc, Inc. (formerly Tribune Publishing), one of the most respected media companies in the world.
tronc, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRNC) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, tronc operates newsrooms in nine markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Newport News, Virginia’s Daily Press, Allentown, Pennsylvania's The Morning Call, and Hartford Courant. Our legacy of brands has earned a combined 94 Pulitzer Prizes and is committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities.
Our brands create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.
tronc is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.