Harry’s is a men’s grooming brand that was built out of respect for quality craftsmanship, simple design, modern convenience and for guys who know they shouldn’t have to overpay for a great shave. We are able to deliver exceptional value and experiences to our customers because we are vertically integrated. From grinding steel into fine razors blades at our factory in Germany to selling our products directly to customers on our website and select retailers, we own the entire process.
Since launching in early 2013, we have been blown away by the customer response to our brand. Today, we have over 3 million customers and are growing fast. We’re now looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to redefine the way people interact with brands online and in stores across the country.
About the Team
The Global R&D team at Harry's works cross-functionally to develop innovative and performance driven products in the men’s grooming market. The team is focused on advancing both the Harry’s direct-to-consumer business as well as strategic private label and store brand businesses in Europe and North America.
The Production Team is responsible for elevating the physical quality of all Harry's packaging, while simultaneously improving the efficiency of our workflow. We continually push the boundaries of what's possible, while maintaining an understated simple and clean polish. We explore the world of consumer packaging, source manufacturers from across the globe, and innovate with the use of materials and inks. By keeping the customer at the forefront of all creative initiatives, we work hand-in-hand with Design, Product Development, and Supply Chain to execute unique thoughtful packaging and displays. As our brand continues to grow, we’re adding key members to the team who will help us continue to improve current products and launch amazing new ones.
About the Role
Production Artists at Harry's are responsible for the conversion of design files into press-ready mechanicals. While honoring the Designer’s intent in all ways possible, you will refine the design into a perfect mechanical artwork file sufficient for manufacture and public distribution. Accompanying this artwork file will be a hand-made prototype, confirming the efficacy of the design in physical form. You will also be responsible for iterating on existing designs, per cross-functional markup and art direction.
What you will accomplish:
- Honor the original Designer’s intent while converting designs into effective mechanical artwork files for manufacturing.
- Bring designs up to brand standards, adjusting typography and layout as needed to ensure typographic consistency.
- Implement markup changes without error when fully actionable. When in-actionable, raise flags and pursue clarification that will enable action.
- Understand the manufacturing processes by which a given design/mechanical will be made/distributed (as communicated by the Production Director) and be able to create files that facilitate that manufacturing/distribution without error.
- Compare incoming samples against specifications to evaluate adherence to critical product elements (color, finish, texture)
- Evaluate color in-house during material sampling, and on location with our manufacturing partners
- Write print specifications, source suppliers and material samples, release artwork, improve version control, review supplier proofs and archive finished product standards.
- Work independently and efficiently, with superb attention to detail, while under pressure, within aggressive deadlines.
- Photograph preproduction supplier samples for directive notes, and production samples for design award submissions
This should describe you:
- 3+ years as Production Artist within a product company, design studio, creative agency, or print publication. OR, from the other side! (from a product manufacturer, printing company, packaging supplier, etc.)
- BFA/BA in Graphic Design or Media preferred. BA required.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Intimate knowledge of formal typographic and graphic design convention; ability to supply artwork in various file formats according to manufacturing process
- Expert ability to create original manufacturing die-lines, iterate, and impose artwork onto die-lines supplied by suppliers
- Professional understanding of conventional and digital printing processes as well as the concept of plate separation
- Fluent in 4-color process, Pantone matching systems, studio color management, color profiles, proofing
- Strong hands-on studio skills for prototyping packaging designs, as well as light-duty installation skills for retail merchandising
Here's who you'll work with:
- You’ll be reporting to the Production Director, sitting on the Design Team
- The Design Team is a part of the larger Global R&D function
- You’ll work with these teams cross-functionally: Supply Chain, Retail, Marketing
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.