Photo Editor, Senior
The New York Daily News seeks a thoughtful, energetic and creative journalist to join our staff as a Senior Photo Editor. This Content Editor will work quickly and urgently to post photos on our website, prepare photography for our print product and coordinate photo assignments and coverage.
The Senior Content Editor will be working in a fast-paced newsroom with quick deadlines. The candidate must possess initiative, creativity, good news judgment, design skills, copy editing skills, attention to detail, the ability to multitask, and a strong command of the English language.
The Senior Content Editor will be responsible for making sure images receive proper vetting and licensing before publication. He/she will be fulfilling a steady stream of art requests throughout the day while juggling gallery production, photographer assigning and some administrative tasks such as monitoring usage reports and invoices.
This position is ideal for a candidate that is creative, intelligent, resourceful, collaborative, and has a passion to edit. This position does not include taking pictures and will not serve as an inroad to becoming a photographer for the New York Daily News.
- Research, gather and select photos from the Daily News archive, freelance contributors, wires and other sources for publishing online and in print
- Work with (and sometimes edit) photos, illustrations, infographics, maps, charts, GIFs and video
- Crop and tone photos for publication
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment on photo usage
- Build photo galleries for website on a daily basis
- Write/edit photo captions and credits (grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy) based on AP style
- Work with contributors and sources to clarify information to be published
- Confirm with photographers, contributors or agencies to ensure accuracy
- Research and communicate image rights and licensing
- Work closely with other editors, online producers and reporters to identify information that is best displayed visually or in a non-narrative form
- Manage multiple assignments, short- and long-term
- Work with speed and accuracy to meet production deadlines
- Be a self-starter and maintain an efficient workflow under minimal supervision
- Attend and participate in meetings with peers and supervisors regularly
- At least two years of photo editing experience at a publication with a strong online presence
- Proven ability to multitask
- Ability to edit and re-write photo captions accurately, with clarity, without bias
- Must be able and willing to work irregular hours, nights, weekends and holidays as necessary
- Should have a strong interest in current events with knowledge of news, sports and pop culture personalities
- Solid editorial background, regardless of platform/medium
- Must be proficient on a PC computer (not a Mac)
- Must be proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Strong online detective skills using the Internet and social media
- Solid journalistic credentials with comprehensive knowledge of media law including copyright, libel, two-party consent, privacy, and fair use, in addition to a highly developed sense of ethics.