News Curation Editor
BuzzFeed News is looking for a smart and experienced news junkie to join our News Curation team.
The ideal candidate has experience at a professional news organization, excellent judgement on tight deadlines, and is obsessed with how readers engage with news. The person will want to figure out what people are sharing and talking about online and how that blends into how we promote BuzzFeed News’s unique and award-winning journalism.
This person will be a part of the team that runs distribution and strategy. The day-to-day for this role involves not only platforms, including our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts and our homepage, but thinking of new and unique ways to utilize them. News Curation editors also work closely with desk editors and reporters to build strategies around promoting their work. Being an absolute nerd about news and how it travels online is a must!
This job is full-time and based in New York or Los Angeles. We offer competitive compensation and a stock option program.
- Manage, grow, and experiment with BuzzFeed News’ presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and more.
- Building out strategies for these platforms, and crafting language and strategy for promotion.
- Effectively use news judgement and data to curate stories for BuzzFeed News social accounts and home page. You need to be comfortable understanding complex pieces on very tight deadlines.
- Determine which news events should be sent as push notifications, then craft and send the notifications.
- Work closely with editors to give feedback on story performance and packaging stories.
- Provide live coverage during breaking news events.
- Embrace new and innovative ways to tell news stories across BuzzFeed’s distributed news channels.
- 1-3 years of experience editing an app, homepage, or social media account for a news organization.
- Being obsessed with national, world and online news with an interest and understanding of politics, business, tech, sports, science, and global affairs.
- Ability to keep a cool head under pressure and work quickly, accurately, and confidently in a fast-paced breaking news environment.
- Relentless attention to detail while comfortable multi-tasking in fast-moving news environments.
- Comfortable with real-time social reporting: searching for photos, live-tweeting press conferences, etc.
- Have a demonstrated ability to craft notifications, tweets, Facebook posts, and live coverage that people want to share and engage with.
- Deep understanding of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc., and why content on those platforms became popular.
- Well-rounded knowledge of photo and video editing software.
- Experience with real-time analytics and social sharing tools.
- Must be a team player and live on the Internet.
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment and celebrates inclusion in all circumstances. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for growth and development via work experience and offerings from our in-house Learning Team
Employee resource groups, frequent in-office events, volunteer opportunities, and more
An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.