ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm makes it easier to live a smarter life. We started as two friends on a couch and have since purchased more couches and gotten new friends, er... employees. Skimm HQ works hard but knows when to take breaks and when it's time to update the Spotify playlist. We drink the kool-aid but know we're drinking it. Through our suite of products, we are disrupting routines and information consumption one Skimm'r at a time. Come join us, we're changing things.
As we grow, we’re looking for a host on our audio production team who embodies theSkimm: an intellectually curious, informed thinker with spark and charisma. You are the newshound friends seek out to explain the twists and turns of current events so they walk away feeling smarter. You are a listener who gets people to share things with you - and doesn’t feel bad asking them to explain again. You have experience working in breaking news and love being on the pulse of the day’s events. You can’t wait to share your insights so Skimm’rs will be in the know.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Collaborate with team to help develop an audio tone in sync with theSkimm
- Stay abreast of the news, pitch ideas/guests for future and daily podcast episodes
- Writes and delivers news stories in a clear and concise manner
- Conduct interviews, book guests as needed
- Assist in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating news programming and other content
- Ensure that all news content meets standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
- Respond to breaking news and other urgent situations as required
- Participate in promotional activities including public appearances
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Experience in news reporting or anchoring, preferably in a breaking news- or news-adjacent setting
- Strong writer with a clear, concise voice
- Superior on-air presence with the ability to ad lib when required
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Expansive knowledge of national and international current events, history, newsmakers and issues
- Strong researcher and interviewer, good listener
- Proficiency in cutting and mixing tape
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears and react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Experience guiding, directing and motivating others
- Collaborative and creative spirit a must
WHAT WE ALSO OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sip’n Skimm - a time to catch up as a group and wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.